The cows had to be milked every day else they let you know they were unhappy. It became painful for them, Gerry thought. Two days not milked and then very painful. Wednesday’s though, he took the milk to town himself for then he met friends and had some fresh bread from Pieter the baker. 

He then sat in the platz and sold some cheese and milk; and even a duck or chicken or two. Gerry had to thin his flock of fowl regularly and one man could only eat a bird every other week. Else Father Guiseppe, who had come to serve in Splatz all the way from Italy, would scold him for being a glutton.

Gerry had a good life and had urged Reginald this last trip to Steilenberg to marry and produce a son or three so that he would no longer be heir to Reginald. Cousin Athelstan laughed and laughed over that. Finally he shared the joke with Gerry, who had to chuckle as well. Everyone wanting Reginald to marry. Well it was time. Reginald was over thirty now and soon he would be Grand Prince. That was assured.

“So, another trip to the capital. I heard that young Samuelson looked after your farm when you were away,” Pieter said. As it was a Wednesday, market day, Gerry had come into Splatz.

He said, “He is a good lad. A very good lad. I don’t know that he makes a decent living at this carting nonsense or will ever make anything of himself and save enough for a farm. But he is honest, eh, and has that smile that make all like him.”

Pieter looked to Gerry. “You should smile more yourself. The ladies think you are quite handsome when you do, you know. And you are a Fitzroy Perry. You could be Grand Prince even.”

“That is why they like me. Once Reginald has married and has children I shall be a lot less attractive I assure you. Father did not think I would ever be higher than fifth in line but then the smallpox took all of Cousin William Simeon’s line and that shooting accident three years ago, and cousin Alan died. I just moved up the ladder I guess.

"You know I would have married Farmer Friedrich’s daughter over along the river, he has some land that would have been her dowry. But once I became second in line, he would not even speak to me. He thought for sure I was no longer going to continue farming. She married the cobbler and now’s expecting her second child. The man has no idea whether to plant millet or soybeans, oats or barley and Fredrich now won’t give him the land. Hopes he can sell it and give the man the money to make more shoes.”

Pieter laughed, “We don’t buy the shoes he makes now. Not many that I can see anyway. His window is so full of shoes you think that we all had a third foot.”

Gerry looked at Pieter who just laughed harder. Gerry returned to the subject of his cousins for all liked to hear what the royals were up to, and they had Gerry to tell them the gossip. No other small village had a man close to the succession and could tell them of the royals. 

“My cousin Athelstan says that I need be suspicious if any French or German comes to town that we do not know or can vouch for. Almondy’s neighbors are thinking long term now. Athelstan worries that they may try and manipulate me.”

“I don’t know any German or Frenchie that has been here since you have been gone. I heard that there was an Englishman wandering about in the countryside.”

“Pieter, those in Steilenberg thing we are the countryside,” and Gerry began his own laughing.

“I know that. Do you think I am a simpleton. Just because I rise and start my fires at two o’clock so that you and the others can have fresh bread each day does not mean I am dumb. No, the countryside is anywhere around here that is not the town. That is where this Englishman was seen. They say he is walking about the countryside and is on a holiday. I am not the simpleton but this Englishman sure must be to think that walking about this part of Almondy is a holiday.” Pieter added a look of indignation as well.