O N E - New Century New Start

O N E - New Century, New Start

What is happiness? Every child wonders. We're told it's wrong; that happiness is dangerous and disastrous. But how canwe know what happiness is if they've never given us a chance to experience it?

I'm one of the only people who has felt true joy, and that isn't something you hear often. I've smiled, I've laughed and even cried from the sheer exhilaration of love. Without the threat of death hanging over me.

Most children have to go by with liars as parents. I'm one of them. Our parents tell us happiness is wrong and could destroy our whole world - or what's left of it. But I know otherwise. Happiness may be the only medicine to our wounds. The single thing that could brighten our world.

Then again, I could be wrong. Don't trust me. I don't even know what happiness is.

---

I jump at the sound of a loud siren wailing outside, my pen almost making a line right through my writing. Listening carefully, I hear a man's voice echo throughout the city. "Everyone is to report to Adrig's courtyard within twenty minutes. Tardiness will not be accepted."

I don't want to go but there's no chance of staying. I put my special pen in between the yellowed pages of my little pocket diary. Making a point of rushing, I throw the sheet off my bed. I twist the mattress and find the tiny slit I made with a kitchen knife. I slide the book in and hastily stitch it up. It takes me a few minutes to readjust my bed and I'm glad I woke up early to write. My family is only just rising when I finish making my bed again.

I rush to the silver door next to the elevator. Inside is a tiny bathroom, consisting of a shower, sink and toilet. I jump in the shower and let the hot water cover my body. When I get out, the bathroom is steamy and hot. I wish steam was cloudier so that I could hide here and write. I change into my short-sleeved, knee-length grey dress and quickly braid my hair in a simple braid. Holding back a sigh, I think about how individuality doesn't exist here. This is the way all girls have to dress.

Mother is the only one in the kitchen when I get there. "Look at your hair - it's shameful!" She tutts when she sees me. She beckons for me to come closer and I do, only to have my hair yanked at and pulled. I know better than to complain, though.

"Thank you," I whisper when she is done. I try not to make it obvious, but while I'm slicing the bread I stare at her own hair, tied back tightly. It's the woman's skin-tight ponytail that makes their face look like it's bulging out. I won't ever understand it, but somehow it's considered beautiful. "Is it Agriddar?" I ask.

"Of course it is," she says, handing me a plate with some grilled pheasant on it. I shake my head.

"How ridiculous!" She proclaims. "Stop this stupid vegetarian act, Adrianna!"

I sit down, my back facing her. "It's cruel to eat something that was once living."

"It's good for you!" I hear her voice becoming higher with exasperation. "What will I do with you? Soon you'll be eighteen and have to get married. Grow up! What will you do, starve your children of meat? Force your husband to join you in this ludicrous childsplay? That's if you're lucky enough to get a husband!" She sneers.

I usually ignore her. There's always a lecture. It's something similar everyday. Except now my ear pricks at one word: soon. If it's an Agriddar today then I really will be eighteen soon. Suddenly, I'm no longer hungry.

***********

"Welcome, welcome," the voice of a man in Adrig booms over the speakers. His voice is so cold, so emotionless it sends shivers up my spine but I try not to move. I'm swallowed up in a sea of grey; everyone is standing upright, with emotionless faces, as if we were all robots. We're all in the courtyard in front of Adrig's house, if such a towering mansion could be labelled as a house. The old, grey bricks have cracks in them and some are stained. Ancient, velvet curtains always hang in the windows. The whole city is very shiny and new with sparkling windows and shining lights. Only this building remains unchanging as no one dares renovate it outwardly; I have never seen the inside and am led to believe only a few rooms are modernized.