Glimpses of the Future FINAL

Start from the beginning

Connor suddenly reached for Sem's hand. Sem's fingers twitched, as if a pulse of electricity coursed through his arm, but he let Connor do it. His cheeks were glowing. 

"Sem," Connor said again. "I'm sorry you're always the one saying it first. But..." He nervously licked his lips, noticeably struggling to maintain eye contact. "I love you too."

Sem forgot to breathe for a few seconds. He swore his heart had stopped beating for a few seconds too, only to race in his chest next. He blinked rapidly, looking away. "You have an odd way of showing your love," he repeated softly back to Connor.

Connor's fingers curled around Sem's. "For the past few months I've been wanting to break off that Queenswright university project about a million times, and run to your house. I thought it was a great chance I couldn't pass up--" 

"To boost your CV for after college and because you love car engines, I know," Sem cut Connor off, feeling his jaw stiffen as he looked up. 

Connor sighed. "But I was, am miserable without you." 

"Really?" Sem asked, sceptical. "You're not mad I told you to die when we broke up and didn't respond to your texts? You still miss me after watching me vomit and cleaning it up?" 

Connor finally cracked a smile. "I know, right? Didn't listen to you telling me never to speak to you again either. When I saw you on the streets... I had to. When I saw your number calling me, I couldn't help but pick up. Imagine how much I love you."

"Love as in... love-love?" Sem glanced at Connor's hand on his. He'd missed those calloused, strong hands. 

"Yeah. Love-love." 

"How do I know you won't up and leave town again at the next great project offer? Nothing's changed." 

Sem hated how vulnerable the question sounded the moment it left his mouth, but... It helped that Connor was also openly putting his feelings and thoughts on display. A rare event coming from him. Even around Sem, at times. 

"The Queenswright project is still running, but I can quit. I...can't give you anything but my word," Connor said. "But I won't take on anything beyond my studies at Valsten and working at Jack's. I promise. There are more important things than work." 

Sem fake-gasped. "Wow, that coming from you? Don't let my parents hear you say that. You may not be their favourite anymore."

"I mean it." Connor's other hand also reached for Sem's. "I'm not going anywhere. I'll be here. I'll be around until you get sick and tired of me." 

"I couldn't get sick and tired of you Connor. I even like watching your lips move when you talk about university shit I don't understand at all." A sly smile tugged at the corners of Sem's lips. "I like watching your lips move in other situations even more." 

Connor started chuckling. It wasn't the situation he'd meant, but also one of those other situations Sem liked watching Connor's lips and expression. He waited for Connor to settle down, content with simply looking at him. 

"For real, Connor," Sem then said. "I'll always be demanding. I'm lowkey jealous and high key needy and clingy as fuck compared to you. I am high maintenance." Sem took a deep breath. He had Connor's full attention. "This feels so dumb to say but fuck it, I want you to watch me and applaud when I'm kickboxing, and call me strong and handsome after. And, take more initiative in bed. Sometimes I don't even know if you want me or not if I'm always the one starting it and you just go along." 

"Of course I want you too," Connor replied, without missing a beat, eyebrows knitted. Sem swallowed.

"I need to you tell me and show me every now and then. That's the kind of person I am. I need you to tell me 'I love you'--" 

Usually it was Sem interrupting Connor with kisses. But this time Connor was the one who leaned in and captured Sem's lips with his own before pulling back. 

"I love you," Connor said, his dark eyes radiating warmth. "Even if you vomit in my brand new car and yell at me to choke on motor oil. I love you, and I'll say it more often. I'll discuss it with you first before I accept long-hours work in another town that will greatly impact us both." 

Sem bit his lip. "And I think you should continue the Queenswright university project. I mean, I have absolutely no clue what you're doing there aside from developing a 'new innovative car design.' But you're probably right. It is a great opportunity and it was a good call to take it. I shouldn't have blown up on you like that. Need to keep working on my temper."

"Thank you," Connor breathed, visibly relieved he wouldn't have to give it up. But him offering to was huge. And already enough of a sign for Sem that he meant it. Enough of a sign to sensually slide a hand up to the back of Connor's head, take hold of his hair, and pull him into another kiss. 

It only lasted a brief moment before Connor already jerked his head back, however. "Sem," he said, coughing. "There still one thing you need to promise me you'll do if you want this to work out." 

Sem tensed. "What?" he asked. 

"You really, really need to brush your teeth. Whew." Connor coughed some more and jokingly gagged, waving his hand in front of his mouth.  

It only took Connor a split second to realise his mistake. Sem grinned so widely it nearly split his face in two, and Connor barely had time to bring out a "no!" before Sem leapt on top of him.

"Tell me you love me, and I'll stop!" Sem demanded gleefully, planting kisses all over Connor's face. 

"I love you, stop! Stop! Let me go!" Connor laughed and wriggled below him, moving his face from side to side, trying to escape. 

Sem did pause for a brief moment, looking down at Connor laying below him. "I'll go brush my teeth first, but... " He let a hand slip down between their bodies, resting it on Connor's lower stomach. "Don't think I'm ever going let you go again, Connor," he promised, unable to help himself and leaning in to steal just one more kiss. 

***

A/N:

Pst, did you ship Nick and Blake? So do I! Check out the chapter [Nick x Blake] Sequel to Better Sorry than Safe: While the Sun Shines at the end of this book for more info. Nick and Blake's book is completed and available for free on my Wattpad profile!