The Hunt.

Reading Key: (Y/N) Your Name.

(N/R)  narrative point of view

(1P) 1st person point of view

(N/R)

You got a job at a Local college as a night guard. it was a decent job. ok pay and not having to deal with people very much. perfect for someone a bit introverted and closed off such as your self. 

The College itself is quite old. dating back at least 80 years once built always away from any settlement it served as a boarding school for the rich and wealthy. but due to falling on hard times during the second world war it was opened to public entree and what was once a somewhat vast forest around it is not limited down quite a bit. but still is around at least a 30-minute drive to the nearest civilization. it holds some living dorms that were newly renovated around the 80s. but still a bit old by today's standards. most students either commuting or living in the dorms. however, it is summer break so just about all of them are off at home.

Luckily your route does not go through there as simply wondering about the dorms would be quite boring. 

having just clocked in on your shift a bit earlier. (since you happen to live in one of the dorms) you decided you would simply just start your shift as you hate watching the clock tick by going nearer to you having to get up and leave.

you end up chatting with one of the other guards in mild conversation before doing your rounds

(1p)

(Y/n): "Hey Dave," you say raising your hand slightly getting your colleges attention.

Dave: Ah good evening (Y/N) your hear a bit early.

(Y/n): "Yeah I hate having to rush out the door when I lose track of time so I decided to come in earlier than usual".

Dave: I feel ya. so your route is by the old Science labs right?

(N/R) The old science labs. just playing that in your head gives you goose bumps. while the lab is occasional still in use it is a separate facility a small walk away from the main campus. but due to renovations, a new science lab is within the campus now so the old one is only ever used for such experiments that could become a bit hazardous. though the place is quite creepy at night. three stories and a basement full of creepy. though it's your shift and for you a bit exciting so you suck it up when it's your route that week and deal with it. quickly.

(1P)

(Y/N) "Yeah I bought an old iPod though with some songs which should keep my mind off it"

Dave: you still own an iPod? well, i guess you can't really get good service over there so makes sense. anyway, i gotta clock out. I have a date with that girl going for her degree in medicine, you know the one with the read hair.

(Y/n) "Ah, Scarlet (quite an ironic name her parents must have a sense of humor) (you think to yourself) I didn't know you could land her. good luck on your date then."

Dave: it probably needs it. im still trying to think of what to talk about with her. but before I go I guess I should hand you the keys to the kingdom since we always at least need one guard carrying these if all others are absent. 

(N/P) he hands you a Godly amount of keys some new and shiny and some old and rustic, the amount of them quite uncountable and heavy but such does not bother you at all.

(1P)

(Y/N) "these things never get lighter, do they? well then see you tomorrow. (N/R) you wave to him while starting to walk on your way to the labs. 

Dave: Later. 

(N/R) you hear his voice trailing off.

You make your way to the science labs but decide to stop by a vending machine on the way out of the main campus. guarding hold buildings from very unlikely attackers makes a man thirsty. after getting a soda from one of the machines you glance down to admire your keys to everything. why are you so giddy about having a bunch of keys? because one of your favorite pass times is going around opening every door like you're in an RPG looking for valuables. you have made it your goal here to see everything this old campus has to offer. the keys only go to main buildings and do not allow access to the dorms, however. probably a good thing,

you have succeeded in checking every nook and cranny of most of every building except the old science labs. simply because they only allow experienced guards who have been there awhile to work that route, since there are possibly dangerous chemicals and such there they don't want some noob getting injured from.

you walk through the small woods that lead to the labs and get to the entrance. luckily without getting spooked by anything 

(1p)

"Now which key was it again... ah the bright orange one I should've figured"

(N/R) 

unlocking the front entrance you slowly shut the door behind you and waltz inside. the place itself is a bit open at the lobby area if you could call it that, the floors being a black and white checkerboard pattern and the walls being white with blue and purple zig zags and patterns.

definitely a screaming death of the 80s-90s decor. your job as a guard it was basic to walk around peek in different rooms and in case of an intruder not meant to be there or a student wandering about to escort off the premises or back to their dorms. the male and female dorms being in the same building so while movement in there is allowed anywhere outside the dorm rooms at night is forbidden. 

you in your time of 3 years being there had only had to escort one intruder off who was from another college near by. and had to lead some students playing truth or dare in the opera hall back to their dorm rooms. each one was quite easy and needed a little effort. 

(1/p) 

"Which room should I try first? let's go with the administrative lounge."

*click*

"nice wooden desk and chairs huh? with everything else seeming old it's nice to see the professors and staff get the good new stuff"

(N/R) you take a sit in the leather office chair at the head of the table and plop your feet up on it.

"Consider this meeting adjourned"

(N/R) having been a nice seat you didn't want to get up but "work" had to be done. and after glancing around at cabinets and photos of old science professors from that school along with atomic and elemental models you shut the door and lock it behind you and make your way deeper into the lab. what lies within this building will change your path forever,

To Be Continued in Chapter 2.