"What?"

"You are not allowed to split up with Bill anytime soon, since he got his partner to do my case pro bono."

"I know. Isn't he great?" Abby grinned like a cat that got the cream, and the two finished their lunch seconds before the bell rang.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Phillip finished up the breakfast dishes and surveyed the room. Everything was in it's place, including a drawing Franny had placed on the fridge the other day. She had drawn a picture of he and Gareth at the park with the kids, and Phillip loved it. It looked like they all belonged together, like he fit in, too. After taking a second or two to look at her childish scrawl, he went down to the basement and prepared for work. He was going to work on a garden today that was very close to the store, so he wanted to pop in quick to speak to Mel. He had so much to tell her, and she was really his sounding board, his closest friend--if he was to have any friends--and the person he trusted the most. Although that spot was slowly and surely being stolen by Gareth.

After he entered the store, Phillip easily picked out Mel's spiky hair across a table of greenery. As he approached, she spotted him, too, and bounded over with her usual energy, "Hi Phillip, what can I do for you? You aren't working today, are you?"

"No, I'm not scheduled until Sunday again, but I was hoping I could talk to you."

Mel was pleased that Phillip had sought her out. Certainly him being more social was as a result of Gareth's influence. "Sure. Let's go to the break room."

As he walked by the potted plants, Phillip couldn't help but add, "These rhododendrons have been overwatered. You can tell by the yellowing at the tips."

"Thanks Phillip. I'll get on it." She glanced quickly at the plants and noticed that he was correct. "But what's up?"

Phillip fidgeted nervously. "Uh, well...I was wondering if you could do me a favour. You and Vernon, maybe?"

Mel was surprised but very pleased with Phillip's request once he'd explained everything. "Of course we can help you out. It would be our pleasure."

"Are you sure you don't need to ask Vernon first? I mean three kids for a sleepover might be a bit much," although Phillip was thrilled at the notion.

"Not too much at all, we'd love to. I'm just pleased you'd ask." Mel was already planning what types of things they could do with the kids as Phillip headed out the door. "You can even pick them up here on Sunday. That will give you two a little time to sleep in, even," Mel called after him a little louder than necessary, causing a blush to spread clear across his face and to his ears, too.

Phillip wanted to give Gareth something special, and felt that a date might be something that they could do together, without kids. Not that he didn't love the kids, Phillip did, but he wanted to maybe spend some time with Gareth without the risk of little people walking in. The whole duration he worked on the Parkins yard he was planning different date things working mostly with ideas from television, since he hadn't dated before. Hopefully Gareth would agree to the plan. Maybe he should have checked with Gareth first? He fretted a little as he worked the soil.

The front garden wasn't particularly large, but it was terraced, so there were complications with the all the plants for each level. The different tiers had slightly different conditions that Phillip needed to consider and the owners were really hoping for a nicer variety of plants than the current offering. Once he finished turning the soil and examining the plants already in place, he had a fairly good idea of where to go. Fortunately, the homeowners agreed with his vision, so by just after lunchtime, Phillip had a garden layout with client approval. They all agreed he would return on Monday to finish the task, so after cleaning his tools, Phillip loaded up the trunk and headed home. He wanted to be dirt free and clean smelling by the time the Lewises made it in the door.