Chapter 46

For the last six weeks Eric had been quiet and Cheyenne's ribs healed. Michael tried to set a wedding date, but Cheyenne hesitated. She was afraid of what Eric might do. Michael attempted to keep life as normal as possible but Cheyenne knew Eric would eventually come out of hiding to strike. It was just a matter of time. He'd stop at nothing-even murder.

Cheyenne smiled and put Eric out of her mind for the time being. "What are we doing tonight?

"I thought we were having dinner with your sister."

"No. That's tomorrow night."

He rubbed the back of his neck and he sighed. "Well then, how about dinner and a movie? Just the two of us."

"You mean actually going out for dinner and a movie?" she asked as she gazed at him with hope resonating in her eyes.

"Cheyenne, you know how I feel about going out right now. It's not safe."

She clenched her fists. "Are you serious? Look, I understand the risk, but I've been cooped up for weeks and I want to get out. Do you understand me? I WANT TO GO OUT!" She paused.

"I'm going with or without you."

Michael stared and shook his head in exasperation. "All right, but we are going to have a police officer with us. I won't risk losing you again."

"I'm glad you care, but I need air. I need to be around other people. I need to know that life is still out there."

"I understand your frustration, but I'm more concerned about your safety. I love you."

She shrugged, leaned in, and kissed him. "I love you, too, but I need to get out. Again, I appreciate your concern. It is an amazing feeling to be so loved. You must understand what I'm going through and how I feel. I need to get out every once in a while."

"We had better get ready to go, but first, I'm going to call your sister and let her know what the new plan is. You go ahead. I'll be right up."

"See you upstairs." She gave him a quick kiss, jumped up from the couch and bounced up the stairs. She was happy they were going out. It was long overdue, but then she realized what he had just said. "Michael," she called out.

"What?"

"Why are you calling my sister? We're supposed to go out with her tomorrow night."

Michael hesitated. "I guess it was a case of old-timers. Now, I'll call to see if she wants to come with us. Is that all right?"

"Yes, but I doubt she will be able to because she won't be able to find a sitter on such short notice. Even though the kids are old enough to fend for themselves, Raina doesn't like to leave them alone. Now that I'm done with my rambling, go and call her. I'll get dressed."

~

"Are you ready, my love?"

She turned to face Michael. "Yes I am. I can't believe that I'm actually going out. It's going to be the best night I've had in a long time."

"Maybe after dinner, instead of going to see a movie, we can go dancing."

"Dancing? Really? I haven't been dancing in a long time. By the way, what did my sister say? Is she joining us?"

"No. She said that one of the boys is sick. Raina said she was going to call earlier, but forgot. Not only is it a no go for tonight, but tomorrow as well."

"Guess I'll call her tomorrow. It's too bad she can't go."

"Yeah, but we do get to spend time together out in the real world. Won't that be nice?"