Chapter 2 - Something's up

Start from the beginning

May continued about how drool-worthy Jim was and how excited she was to be going to the movies with him, whilst I was in mid-thought. She didn't realise though I'd become good aat masking my daydreams when I put my mind to it.

Deciding to forget about it, I went back to eating my now cold Lasagne, after one more bite I couldn't eat anymore so casually strolled to the bin and emptied the contents of my  nearly full plate into it before going outside on to talk to May a bit more about her date.

She seemed really excited and I was excited for her, Jim was a really nice guy and would treat her well so it was win win situation.                

                              *****************************

I only had a couple of days left of school till I'd leave forever and start College in September, I was finally ready to leave this hell hole of a private school to go out into the big wide world.

Being 16 definitely brought a sense of maturity to me and sitting in fourth period French really made me realise how much I couldn't wait to leave, for more than one reason, not to mention the hideous bottle green and light blue colours that my school uniform consisted of. uuurrrgggghhh... whoever came up withthat combe needed to be shot for crimes against fashion.

May sat next to me as always, she was drawing hers and Jim's names on paper and etching hearts around them. 

"Gay much, You haven't even been on a date with him yet, how d'you know he's not some psycho pervert or something" I chuckled as May's face gave changed into a disgusted expression.

"You never know maybe your inner pervert will come out too when your with him" I said waggling my eyebrows knowing these were cringe worthy words for her.

I knew that wouldn't happen though, her parents were Catholic and she would wear a long skirt and sweater to their date.

"Shut up and work" she whispered barely above a whisper whilst pinching my arm. I laughed at her as she quickly got back to her work trying her best to ignore me whilst sliding the heart covered paper under her textbook.

The class was silent now. Everyone looking down and writing in French at formula one speed. I really couldn't be bothered with French today, it's not like it would ever help me in later life. I huffed and slumped onto the table resting my eyes for a few seconds before deciding in my head to restart my french work in a couple of seconds.

"Miss Madston" I heard a yell and quickly jerked my head up to her the shrill voice of Mrs Kingsley.

"Now is not the time for sleeping, that's an instant detention after school"

"Wait, but mi-"

"No butts now get back to work" I sighed feeling defeated by the 50 year old teacher whose face was one big wrinkle, never had I seen so many ridges in someone's face and my great-gran was almost 90.

I got back to my work and heard May giggling next to me, I turned to her giving her a shut-the-hell-up look, she giggled more and whispered "Karma's a bitch, ha ha, I told you get back to work."

I don't know how but Miss heard her too "Miss Small that's an after school detention for you too for lewd language" the whole class erupted with giggles as everyone looked up from their books and over to us making May instantly turn a deep shade of red. 

"Yep, Karma really is a bitch" I whispered into her ear laughing, So miss didn't hear and hand me out  any more detentions like they were free sweets. I decided to re-start my work seen as the death glare May gave me could have sent me 12 feet under.

When 4th and 5th period French was over I walked with May to the detention room. We were laughing and joking again and she had instantly gone back to talking about her date tomorrow.

Getting bored of listening to her blab on about Jim I drifted of into one of my many daily daydreams.

"Are you even listening" I heard May's voice interrupt my  random daydream.

"Yeah.. umm you were talking about Jim"

"Ohh you were listening, well-" and she began again.

I simply blocked her out again, Jim's a great guy and all, but he is all she had been talking about all day. It was tiresome. That's the reason I didn't get involved with boys, they turn you into blabbering whelps that have nothing of substance to say.Don't get me wrong, I love May, she's a great friend, but she hadn't stopped talking about Jim and something told me she would be like this for a lot longer.

I sighed internally at the thought and remembered the days when life was uncomplicated and boy's weren't in the way. I thought back to Joey and I when we were 11.

As we walked into the detention room I scanned to see it full with all the delinquents of the school and looked worriedly at May, I'd never really got a detention before, this was definitely a first.

We walked and took two seats next to each other at the front of the class, sitting in absolute silence, which was kind of great for two reasons: 1) I could daydream without being interuppted and 2)  I didn't have to listen to May's ramblings on about Jim.

After an hour  of detention which was supposed to be in silence but ended up becoming a row between me and some of the bitches at the back or the classroom who were repeatedly throwing things at the back or my head, I walked out thinking I am never doing that ever again. The reminder that I only had a couple of day left in the hell hole instantly made me feel better.

Outside of school me and May hugged before she walked towards her dad's awaiting car and I strolled to meet Joey at our normal meeting place, in the middle of the field.

As I walked I heard vibrating coming from my satchel. I quickly rummaged through my text books and papers to the bottom of my bag where I found my phone flashing.

I looked at it and saw I had 5 messages, all from Joey. That's strange, I looked at the latest message,

Joey: Were are you? I've been waiting here forever, are you okay? why aren't you replying? Your not hurt are you? reply already!

I smiled, yep that's Joey alright, always worried. He is such a good friend. I guess nothing is up, but it's still a bit strange I didn't hear from him last night and now I have 5 texts and 3 missed calls from him. He usually just waits untill I arrive, he never really texts or calls this much. Something must be up after all.

Me: I'm fine, I just had detention. I'm on my way.

As I press the send button another message pops up instantly, Jeez, He could have waited at least 30 seconds.

Joey: Detention?

Me: Yes detention, Cya in a minute stop wasting my credit, be right there and I can explain.

Joey: Okay, I have something really Important to tell you.

What was that about, okay I was right, somethings not right here. What could be so important, maybe its got something to do with Jim losing his Job, Oh My God what if he had a fight with him and got him fired, I knew they were friends, what the hell is going on this is so unlike Joey.

Oh well I'll try and act nonchalantly when I speak to him, it would be strange if I acted all worried. That's not me and Joey would start thinking stuff.

I continue walking increasing my pace and brace myself for whatever it is Joey has to tell me. 

***************************

Picture of May at the side ------->

Hope you enjoyed it, It's still really bad *cringe* any criticsm welcome :)