He ran his hand through that hair and caused a bit of it to fall carelessly over his brow, which was lined and creased as he stared intently at her. She was sure she saw the nostrils in his narrow nose flare and his fists clenched, causing the muscles in his forearms to jump as he crossed them over his chest.

“A…Are you… Mr. Michaels?” Dawn managed to stutter, quite unprofessionally. She was angry at herself and so she squared her shoulders, smoothed out her brown skirt and swallowed hard. She looked at his chest, focusing on the worn black fabric of his shirt instead of on that face and those eyes. Why was he looking at her like that? So intense. So serious. Almost like she was his prey and he the big bad wolf.

“My name is Grange.” he replied tightly. His voice was deep and had an almost raspy, gravely quality to it. Dawn wondered what in the world was wrong with her as she felt herself trembling when the sound of it washed over her.

“Grange, I’m Dawn Patten. I am new in town.” she replied as she stuck her hand out. She must remember her manners and ignore the way her knees were shaking and her stomach was tied in knots. She had to make this man like her if she was going to get the building she needed for her bakery.

“I figured.” he replied, ignoring her hand as he turned away from her and picked up his axe. “What do you want with me?” Dawn stammered for a moment before snapping her jaw shut. He was being incredibly rude and yet she still felt her mouth go dry at the way that shirt outlined his muscles and the way those muscles worked as he swung that axe and split the log in half with ease.

“I have a business proposition for you, Mr. Michaels.” the man snorted and tossed the pieces of the log onto a pile of wood he had already chopped.

“And what exactly would a woman have to do with business propositions? Unless of course you’re offering me a roll in the barn loft. I might be tempted to take you up on that. Other than that, I don’t do business with anybody.”

Dawn didn’t know what to say. She had never, in twenty-eight years of life been spoken to that way! It made her angry. Very angry. Who did this Grange Michaels think that he was?

She stormed forward, her temper overriding her good sense and grabbed the axe he was lifting into the air, she jerked it from his grasp and he turned to look down at her. He wasn’t angry or shocked, instead he looked intrigued.

“Okay, Dawn, you have my attention and my axe. I will be taking both away in exactly one minute so get to talking.” Dawn could tell he meant it. She rested the axe head on the ground, shocked by just how heavy it was, and then leaned against the handle.

“Mr. Michaels, I have just moved here from my home back east. I have a large amount of money that I inherited from my parents and my brothers estates when they passed away and also some I earned as a baker. I would like to inquire as to whether or not you would be interested in allowing me to lease or buy the stone building you own at the edge of town.”

“And why would you want that big old building?” Grange asked with a slight raise of his brow. Dawn was all business now.

“I would like to start up a bakery here. I am aware the building will need some work to be a suitable place to do that but I am willing to put in the sweat and hire help myself as well to make it happen.”

“A bakery huh?” Grange asked as he studied her. “You a good baker, cuz I got one hell of a sweet tooth.” He gave her a grin that was so sudden and so breathtakingly lopsided and handsome that it had her stuttering and nearly gasping for air.

“Y..yes. Yes, I’m a good baker.” she finally managed to reply as she swept some loose hair from her face. “Would you be willing to talk about terms with me…..?” Dawn’s voice trailed off as cries broke out from the main street. A loud wail filled the air and before Dawn had time to wonder what was happening, Grange had swept past her and was heading around the mill.