“Scott says my most endearing quality is I’m not one of those nitpicky girls who always nibbles on salad. He likes my healthy appetite.” I groaned as she continued on not at all upset by my name calling. Apparently her focus was solely on how amazing her current boyfriend Scott was.

“Ooooo!” my mother giggled like a twelve year old. “And who is Scott? I thought you were dating Alan.”

“Ruthie didn’t tell you?” Kelsi asked as I did my best to ignore them and eat my balanced breakfast. My mother cooed as Kelsi went on to describe her latest boyfriend. Kelso wasn’t like me when it came to the topic of romance. I was waiting for my prince to appear in a spectacularly romantic fashion. Kelsi was looking for Mr. Right Now. She dated a new guy every week. I had no doubt that Scott would be gone in a week just like all the others.

“He sounds amazing Kelsi,” mom enthused. She supported every single one of Kelsi’s short lived romances. “You will have to bring him over sometime. I’ll make manicotti.”

“Like that will ever happen,” I scoffed rinsing out my cereal bowl and placing it in the dishwasher. “He’s almost reached his expiration date. She will dump him by the end of this week.”

“I will not,” Kelsi protested as I grabbed both of our school bags. “In fact we are celebrating our two week anniversary today.” Really? Two weeks? Maybe studying for my chemistry test forced me to lose count of how long she had been dating this guy. “Want to see the card that I made for him? I was up all night working on it.” I refrained from pointing out that she could have spent all that card making time studying for our chemistry test as well. Kelsi needed to work on her grades.

“No,” I muttered pulling her to the front door as she waved the glitter encrusted card in my face. “Kelsi, have you ever considered just being single for a little while so you can find yourself?”

“That is the stupidest thing I have ever heard. Being single won’t suddenly make me more self-aware.”

“It could help.”

“Oh yeah? How is it going for you then? Found yourself yet?” I scowled as we waved goodbye to my mother heading off to school. I really hate it when Kelsi is able to get a good dig in. I’m supposed to be the witty, smart friend in this relationship. I sulked for the remainder of the walk as Kelsi gleefully listed every single thing she loved about Scott.

“He sounds great Kelsi,” I mumbled as I tried to get her to stop.

“Ruthie, why don’t you just date someone? I can set you up with some nice guy,” Kelsi offered finally ending her Scott monologue. “You deserve to find your true love too.” She always asked some version of this same question at the beginning and end of every semester. She asked it since she first discovered the wonder of boys in fifth grade. It was about two weeks until the end of our junior year so the timing was spot on for her.

“I’m not just going to date some random guy,” I said giving my standard reply. “I’m waiting for my moment.” She rolled her eyes. “Don’t give me that look. I’m serious. You know I have a plan.”

“Why do you always say that?” she moaned. “I may be a little boy crazy, but at least I’m not sitting around waiting for some unrealistic moment of romance. Your prince charming isn’t going to just walk up and sweep you off your feet carrying you out of here.”

“You just don’t get it do you? I am opening myself up to the moment. Keeping myself single and free means that my true love will appear in my life in the right moment in just the right way. If I date every loser that breathes like you my true love could get confused and delay our romantic meeting.”