The Girl with Two Lives

~Valery~

I wheeze. I try to hold in the breath, savor it, but I can't hold it longer than a few seconds. My heart beats softly and slowly, ready to give at any moment. The beeping of the heart moniter is like a lullaby to me; so common and soothing.

My mom walks in with my medications for this hour. So many....I've forgotten how to survive without them, though. I start coughing right as she walks towards me. I cough and cough and cough before she hands me the water. I try to drink it as fast as I can, but I have to stop to breath every other second. By the time I'm half-way through the glass, I'm panting. My mom's worry-lines show once more, but she hands me my medication, knowing that I can stop and swallow them with no problem. One after one; they glide down so easily with the water.

As I finish, I take a shallow deep-breath and hand back the glass to my mother. She takes it away and turns around. Just before leaving, she asks me,

"Is there anything else you would like, sweetie?"

My mom's become a softy ever since I became sick. I hate it. So in reply, I say,

"To be healthy again."

She frowns and walks out, obviously angered. I feel victorious in my endeavours and try to laugh, but fail. I start coughing once more and this time I can't stop. The coughing begins to get worse and causes me immense pain in my chest and abdomen. My dad comes rushing in with the portable oxygen tank and mask. He places the mask over my mouth and I gradually stop coughing. My chest feels like it's about to explode and my heartbeat has become irregular once again. I feel the warm and salty tears begin to form in the corners of my eyes.

I let the tears fall, not caring if I can't necessarily clean up the water and moisture. I look around my room with blurry eyes, hating how all the colors blend together. The blues and blacks all come together in one big, dark mess. I look down at my bed and see the green and blue blur creating a beautiful aqua. The tears begin to dry and my chest feels only slightly better.

My dad finally exits the room, letting the oxygen tank stay on me. He knows I hate it. 'What a jerk,' I think silently to myself. I look around my room once more, this time with clear eyes. I see the 3 sky blue walls and the 1 black wall standing there. On the blue walls are objects that focus on the sky; the clouds and rain and such things like that. Mainly daytime things. On the black wall, there are glow-in-the-dark stars and a moon; many night-time things. I absolutely love my room. Imperfections stand out to me, though. There is a slight crack in the ceiling just in the top right-hand corner, a spot of blue paint on the black wall and vice-versa. Around the window (which is on the second blue wall) is pictures that I have drawn and pictures of me before I was sick and knocking on death's door.

You know, before I was dying, I was in drama club. Along with chess club, orchestra, church choir, and other things. But my favorite was the one sport I played.

Cheerleading.

I know, you probably think that cheerleading isn't a sport. Well it is. I was also in gymnastics to help with flexibility and reflexes. Time after time, I impressed my parents and made them truly happy at cheer competitions. It was also the one thing that made me happy. But now, I have to sit here in bed day after day wondering if I will live to see another day.

My eyelids droop a little heavier than before, and I feel exhausted all of the sudden. I bring the ocean-themed comforter over my waist and listen to the nonstop beeping of my irregular heart. The lullaby makes me even sleepier and even though it's only 2 in the afternoon, I drift off to my alternate universe.

Dream Land.

000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

YAY! New month, new day, NEW BOOK. So in this book, each chapter will have a name at the top. They will alternate between 2 names; Valery and Melany. Valery in reality while Melany is alternate-universe. Just warning you so you don't get confused later on.

Thank you for reading!!!! :D HAVE A NICE DAYYYYY!