Kristi eased past the other nurses to Mr. Radley's bedside, and took his hand.

Mr. Radley clamped his hand onto Kristi's and held on with all of his might.

"Beth," he moaned, calling for his wife. His eyes were closed tightly.

"Mr. Radley," Kristi said softly, "It's all right, I'm here."

"Beth," he moaned again, "Beth, it hurts, it hurts bad."

He had stopped thrashing when she had taken his hand, and now lay there whimpering. Occasionally his body would convulse.

Mr. Radley had been in the hospital for three months, having suffered a stroke a week after his wife had died. He was a favorite of the whole staff, even Nurse Baylor had a soft spot for him. On his lucid days, he brought a ray of sunshine into the dull hospital rooms. On his bad days, all he wanted was his wife, Beth, and would be frantic without her. He had been one of Kristi's special patients during her day time training. She had handled his outbursts smoothly and had always calmed him down quickly. Lately, however, his episodes had become more and more frequent, and Kristi had a growing sense of trepidation for whatever was going to happen.

Mr. Radley opened his eyes, tears running down the sides of his face. "Beth," he sobbed, "make it go away, it hurts, Beth, it hurts bad."

She felt helpless. Mr. Radley was crying in heartbreaking, whimpery sobs.

Kristi heard quick, heavy footsteps that could only be Dr. Stafford, one of the two night shift doctors, and the largest man employed at Kingston County. He maneuvered between the nurses to the opposite side of the bed and took hold of Mr. Radley's other hand, checking his pulse.

"Miss Garrett, what's the problem?" he asked, his voice authoritative.

Kristi looke dhim in the eye. "I don't know, Doctor, he just keeps saying that he's in pain."

Dr. Stafford looked up. "Nurse Baylor, " he said calmly, "have Miss Benknun fetch some morphine."

Kristi heard Alice's footsteps as she scurried away. Kristi then watched Dr. Stafford check Mr. Radley's vitals. She mentally noted each one. Pulse - erratic and abnormal, breathing - quick and shallow, skin - cold and clammy.

 Mr. Radley seemed to be struggling to be motionless. All of his muscles were straining. He gasped for each breath. His eye's found Kristi's and in them she could see the terror that he was experiencing. She had never felt more helpless than at this moment, looking into Mr. Radley's eyes, unable to free him ffrom his pain. She held eye contact, trying to will what strength she had, into him.She barely noticed Alice's return, or Dr. Stafford's motions as he injected the dose of liquid morphine into Mr. Radley's arm. She blocked out the world as she waited for the morphine to take effect. Each minute seemed an eternity.

Slowly, Mr. Radley's muscles relaxed, and his eyes closed. When his hand lay limp, Kristi returned her attention to the hospital room. At the end of the bed, Nurse Baylor and Dr. Staffors were speaking. Kristi heard him say "heart attack."

She looked down at Mr. Radley. There was no doubt now, Mr. Radley had already been weak, this had just sealed his fate. It was only a matter of time. Only one thought saved Kristi from tears. She whispered it outloud. "You'll be with Beth soon. She's waiting for you."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The last hour of Kristi's shift passed uneventfully. After collecting their wraps, she and Alice trudged out of the hospital. Zeke, Dr. Gage's livery man, was waiting out front with a carriage to take them both home. Too tired to worry about propriety, Kristi grabbed a hold of both sides of the door and climbed inside, plunking herself down in a sprawling heap on one of the seats. Alice, ever the lady, waited for Zeke's assistance and placed herself gracefull on the opposite seat. Only after the door was closed and the carriage was set in motion, did she let her posture slump a little.