"Cute," Celeste commented on my matching bra and undies. She wiggled her way into a skin tight navy blue dress. Unlike me, Celeste was built like a ballerina. She couldn't gain weight, as hard as she tried. The results were a flat chest and bony legs.

The door busted opened and Celeste's brother, Nathan O'Connor, stood there. His mouth was gawked opened as he stared at my half-naked body. He reached up and slapped a hand over his blue eyes. "Sorry, I didn't realize you girls were getting ready to work the streets."

Nate leaned against the door frame, his blond hair standing up in awkward angles. He was a year younger than Celeste, and possessed many of her traits. They both had matching pale eyes, as well as dimples. Celeste's teeth were crooked, because of her refusal for braces, but Nate's were perfectly straight, his canines very prominent and sharp in contrast. They looked like they were related; when in reality they weren't. Nate was adopted when he was younger, from Ohio.

Celeste gave him the finger as I pulled my dress over my head. My parents and Celeste's parents went to a nursing class together when we were both born, and I've been a part of the O'Connor family for what seemed like my entire life. Celeste and Nate were like siblings to me.

"What do you want?" Celeste snapped in his direction. Nate popped a Skittle into his mouth and removed his hand from his eyes. Thick eyelashes surrounded them, which glittered evilly in the natural lighting of the room.

"Mom wants to know when you're leaving." He was answering Celeste, but his eyes continued to strain on me. "You look different," he said to me.

"Ten minutes," Celeste drew his attention away from me. Nate nodded, frowning slightly.

"I don't like it," he whispered to me and turned to close the door.

"Sorry," Celeste rolled her eyes. "You know, it's his time of the month again." She pulled her dress down, which barely covered her butt. "How do I look?"

"Like a baby prostitute."

"I prefer the term escort. Sounds more exotic." She wiggled her butt.

Grabbing my cell phone off of the bed, we made our way downstairs. Celeste's mother, Gale O'Connor, stood in the kitchen, chugging a bottle of vitamin water. She wore plain grey sweatpants and a large GAP shirt. She gave us a quick glance and threw the water bottle into the recycling bin.

"I'm going to finish working out," she said briskly. "Have fun." She kissed her fingers and threw them in our direction. Sometimes, I wondered about Gale. About the O'Connor parents in general. Celeste was dressing up in revealing clothes and was plastered in makeup, but they didn't even raise a brow. She seemed to lack the ability to care.

"Thanks, Mom." Celeste paused. "I'll call you when we're leaving. It might be late." Gale didn't answer. She plugged in her earphones and went to the basement.

Nate exited the kitchen, holding a peanut butter sandwich, with the crust cut off. "Be safe," he told us, climbing the stairs two at a time.

Celeste snorted and looped her arm through mine. "We will!" she called after her brother, closing the door behind us. We both shared a secret smile as we walked down the steps of her house, our feet moving in sync.

The evening air was crisp, offering a break from the heat that California usually presented us with.

A nervous feeling began to make its way up to my throat, grabbing hard and yanking at all my nerves.

"Relax," Celeste licked her red lips. "What can possibly go wrong?"

*

Graham pressed another beer into my hand and motioned for me to scoot over.