Chapter 15 -

Third Person POV

"Anna?" Celine called out to Anna as she came out looking for her mother; holding her teddy bear close to her.

While Celine took Anna, somewhere she knew she would be safe, the Viscount had sat down to have his last meal – a special request of meat and vegetables. He was calm for his knew what his fate would be, whereas his wife was panicked and blamed only herself for the death of her husband.

As the Viscountess walked into the hall, she held a suitcase in her hands; things to give her husband; the things he loved were within the suitcase but the Germans would not allow it to go to him.

"Take this away" The shouted to each other as a door slammed open; the men dragged Madeleine all beaten up and bruised; bleeding heavily as they dragged her out.

"She does not know anything" One spoke to the other as she cried to herself as they threw her outside.

"Don't fret." The Viscount smiled to his wife as he indulged in his meal. "There's still time. Somebody might give him up."

"You know, Benoit..." She began but he cut her off.

"I know." He smiles to his wife as they hold hands. "You did the right thing. God can see into our hearts."

"I love you." She cries out to him.

"I love you too." He kisses her softly as the guards pull him outside.

"Line up!" They shout as they tie the Viscount to a chair; making sure he cannot escape. The fireguard all line up in front of him; guns pulled out for the ready as they look to the target.

A prayer was said by the vicar, as he blessed the Viscount; allowing him to repent of his sins before he died in front of the village.

"Amen" He smiled as he looked to the sky.

"Take aim!" The caller shouted; they all loaded their guns. "Fire!"

The sound of gun shots went off and echoed the town of Bussy. The sound of silence shortly followed it.

"Fall out" The commander spoke as the doctor checked to see if he was still alive. He turned his head to Bruno and shook his head no.

Bruno took a deep breath in; knowing what he had to do. He could not disobey the commandments he had been told. But he also did not want to destroy his relationship to Amelia. He took out his pistol and went close to the Viscount; aimed the gun to his head and took a single gunshot. Killing him instantly.

*

Amelia's POV

As soon as I heard that second gunshot, I knew he had done it. I had told myself they're just like us after all, but they're not. We're a different species, irreconcilable, enemies forever.

"I won't hide here till the wars over." Benoit sighed as we stood beside him. "I'm not afraid of dying. I just want it to be for a reason."

"What can you do?" I ask him as he folds his hands together looking to me and Madame.

"I know people, in Paris." He begins.

"Who?" I interrupt.

"People who are getting organised, fighting back." He answers as Madame shakes her head.

"You'll never get past the checkpoints. They're everywhere." She mutters and I take a big breath in; exhaling loudly.

"What if I take him?" I whisper, unsure on my words myself.

"Amelia, you can't do that." Madame disagreed as I shook my head to her.

"I'm taking you." I smile as I begin to walk out.

"What about the travel pass?" Benoit questions.

"Leave it to me" I walk out and race to the place I know Bruno will be.

Fear is complex. There are several different kinds. Dread. Fear of the unknown. Fear of the thing you know but are trying desperately to un-know. Fear for someone else. Helplessness. I try to describe them from within the heads of the characters, and usually try to have them behave based on their fears using those around them who don't know of the fear as a foil. Scared people behave oddly - especially when those around them don't know they're afraid.

"I know where you're going, you fucking German whore." A soldier snaps to me as he grabs my waist; pulling me to him. Pushing him away I see Madeleine all bruised and beaten up.

"He's safe." I whisper as I walk past; hearing her cries as I walk away.

As I walk towards the music and the sound of men laughing and completely drunk, I try to find Bruno as I walk through the crowds of men that whistle at me as I push past them.

"What are you doing here?" I hear a familiar voice call out to me; I turn my head to see Bruno drinking some whiskey and in the other hand is a cigarette.

"I need a travel pass." I walk to him. "I have to drive to Paris. One of our tenants needs medicine. His daughter's very ill."

"You heard about the viscount?" He asks as he puts out the cigarette.

"Yes." I stutter as I look to him.

"You must hate me now." He looks up to me; I shake my head no. "I would if I were you."

He stood up and walks closer to me. He made me nervous, yet not in a way of how the other Germans made me feel.

"This tenant...has he come to the house?" He asks as I try not to show any signs of obviousness.

"No." I mutter as I shook my head.

"That's a shame." He looks around and puts a hand in his pocket. "My orderly says he could smell a different man's tobacco. He thinks you're hiding someone."

"And you?" I ask him as he looks to me once more.

"If I had even the slightest suspicion it would be my duty to act on it." He mumbles and I agree with him.

"I know that." I breathe out.

"I said it was mine." He shakes his head. "A gift from my wife. I'll instruct my orderly to issue the pass."

"Thank you" I smile to him as I turn away; when I feel a hand snake around my waist and he pulls me against his body.

"We will see each other again." He whispers, our bodies against one another's. "Not as a soldier. You won't even recognise me."

"Be careful...with your life." I plead with him as our lips brush past each other's.

"Is it precious to you?" He asks and I nod my head quickly.

"Yes." I stutter. "It is so precious to me."

I pull away from him, walking away and not turning back, for I know I will not be able to control my actions if I am around him for too much longer. I was in love with this man and I was not afraid to say so. But certain things changed everything.

The next day, we packed everything ready to make our way to Paris. I said goodbye to some sentimental things; my piano. We rushed downstairs and Madame had things back for us.

"This is everything you'll need." She smiled as she handed me a bag. "And...Gaston left us this. Just in case."

"Thank you." I smile to her and I hug her. "Gaston will come back. I'm sure of it."

"Thank you." She stuttered; tears showing in both of our eyes.

"Goodbye" I whisper to her as I walk to the car;Benoit getting into the boot.