Luciana moved forward and embraced him while I rubbed his back, "There's no way of knowing how long the fire was burning." 

He shook his head and looked over to where the two Otto brothers were standing watching the building burn, eyes meeting mine when I whispered his name, "Everyone tried."

Madison came over and joined us, looking around worriedly and I realised that Alicia wasn't here.

"Whe-"

"Bible study." Nick muttered, "She's been there the whole night." 

Through the night, the fire raged on and by the time morning came, there was nothing left of the house except an empty shell and while the folks of the ranch mourned two of their own, Maddie was getting ready to go out on a mission with Troy and the rest of his men. 

Nick and I were watching her pack up the truck when Alicia finally emerged, "Mom." 

"Mom, you don't have to do this," Nick tried. 

"We have to contribute." was all she said. 

"There are other ways," I murmured, crossing my arms over my chest, "We could find another way." 

"I should be the one to go," Nick whispered but she shook her head. 

"You two need to take care of Luciana. Make her feel safe in here." 

I jumped when Troy pressed on the horn of the truck he was sitting in, giving us all a smile, "Looks like you're with me." 

Well that didn't ease our worries at all. 

"Looks like it," Maddie nodded and I grabbed her arm. 

"This doesn't feel right." 

"I'll be gone a day, two at the most. Don't worry about me." she said, placing her hand on mine, "None of you worry." 

"We can't trust him." 

She gave Nick a small nod, "The more we understand this family the safer we ar-" Troy pressed on the horn again, making us look at him again. "He won't hurt me," she said firmly and we watched as she climbed into the truck.

"I'll grab us some breakfast." Nick murmured once they were gone and I ignored the looks that were still being sent our way from some folks and turned to go back into the cabin, while Alicia went off on her own. 

Luciana was sat at the door, watching as a child played on the swing outside along with a couple of other folks and she gave me a small smile as I entered, "Where's Nick?" 

"He's gone to get us some food," I answered, taking a seat at our small table, "And despite everything else around here, the food is pretty good. They got butter here and not the fake kind, either. Get this, someone actually churns it." 

She laughed at my enthusiasm as Nick entered, "Okay, we've got eggs, we've got bacon and we've got toast. Also, we ha-"

"Butter." both Luciana and I finished, startling him. 

"Yeah," he mumbled, placing the tray down in front of us and for a couple of seconds, she just stared at it, "Well come on, eat something. Or you'll risk getting nothing with this one around."

"Nick!" I gaped, giving his arm a small push then cleared my throat, "He's right though. I will eat it all if you don't hurry." 

We ate quietly for a couple of minutes before I noticed the sombre look on his face, to which I gave his leg a gentle tap under the table, "What's wrong?" 

He shrugged, taking a bite of his toast, "'m just thinking about the fire. About the couple." 

"Some people told me about them," Luciana murmured, "It was sad but sweet. They were together till the end." She watched the two of us eating, "Guys, it's time for us to go."

"Hm," Nick hummed, standing up, "You're not ready yet."

"You know I am," she argued, "Don't make the reason to stay."

"We can't just walk to Tijuana without a plan," I said quietly and she looked at me. 

"I know people closer! In Mexicali." 

"You knew people," Nick called from the other room, "They'll be long gone by now." 

Luciana stood up from the table too, "There are tunnels where they would hide! Prohibition tunnels!" 

"Luci-"

"You're afraid to leave your family. I can't live here." 

"And we're not going to make you," I said, getting up and placing a hand on her shoulder, "Okay?" 

"You promise?" 

"I promise," Nick said, coming back into the doorway, a smile on his face, "We promise." 

"And you'll both come with me?" 

I smiled squeezed her shoulder again, "That's what we said, didn't we?"