Not What I Meant

The Wanted

Chapter 2

          I walked down the hallway with butterflies in my stomach. I could feel everyone staring at me and whispering to each other. I didn't mind. It's not my first time being known as the new girl, but I was still nervous to get to class. I could only hope that no one there knew anything about me or my crime.

     "Welcome, Kahleah. I'm Ms. Evelyn. Welcome to our class," Ms. Evelyn said.

     I tried to smile back at her as I walked towards her. I held my books tightly in my hands and looked around the classroom. No one looked familiar so some of my worries went away.

     "You can sit over there next to Cimberly," Ms.Evelyn said as she pointed to a girl who I assumed was Cimberly.

     I slowly walked to the desk that Ms.Evelyn pointed to. I took my seat and set my books down on my desk. As the time went by, I thought I felt someone staring at me. It gave my neck the goosebumps. It felt like a cold, hard glare. I turned around and saw a boy glaring at me with dark eyes. He had pale skin and kept staring at me even when I turned back around.

     "What do you want?" I whispered.

     He never said anything back. For the rest of the class, he kept on staring at me. It made me feel awkwardly uncomfortable. At the end of class, I rushed outside and made sure he wasn't watching. I didn't know his name, but he acted as if he knew me. I was turning back around when I bumped into a girl.

     "I am so sorry," I said as I helped the girl pick her stuff up from the floor.

     "It's ok. I'm Cimberly. I think I'm in your social studies class," she said with a smile on her face.

     "Yep. I'm Kahleah. Today's my first day here," I said

     "Do you want to have lunch with me, Kahleah?" Cimberly asked.

      "Sure. I would love to," I said with a huge grin.

     When it was time for lunch, I found Cimberly at a lunch table near a window. I walked over to the table with my lunch in my hands.

     "Hey Cimberly," I said as I sat down across from her.

     "Hey Kahleah. A few more people are going to join us, if you don't mind," Cimberly said as she took her food out from her lunchbox. 

     "Not at all," I said.

     As I began eating my lunch, a girl walked towards our table. She was a short, petite girl with long black hair. She wore a white, button-down shirt with a light blue sweater and dark-washed jeans. She wore blue ballet flats and her hair was in a ponytail. She looked friendly.

     "Kandace! Where have you been?" Cimberly practically shouted.

     "Cimberly! I was sick," Kandace said while laughing.

     "Kandace, this is Kahleah. Kahleah, this is Kandace," Cimberly said as she introduced us to each other.

     Kandace sat down next to me. She was really nice so far. Then, that strange guy from social studies walked up to our table. He glared at me as he walked over and sat down next to Cimberly. Cimberly hugged him when he sat down.

     "Guys, this is James. He moved here a week ago so he's pretty new. He's also my boyfriend," Cimberly said as she blushed and smiled.

     "OMG, Cimberly! You got a boyfriend while I was gone. Aw, you guys are so cute together," Kandace said while taking a photo of Cimberly and James.

     Cimberly giggled.

     "This is definitely going on facebook," Kandace said. 

     I sat there in silence for the rest of the lunch period. I just ate my food while listening to Cimberly and Kandace talk. James didn't really say anything either. I could tell CImberly and Kandace were best friends. They talked about almost everything in just 30 minutes. Kandace pulled her phone back out from her purse.

     "Ok guys. I need your numbers," Kandace said.

     We all laughed and gave her our phone numbers. After lunch, I walked to Spanish. It turns out Kandace and James had Spanish with me. We walked to Mrs. Iduate's classroom together. Kandace and I have a lot in common, so we had a lot of things to talk about on the way. James, on the other hand, wouldn't say anything at all. We assumed he was sad because he wasn't with Cimberly. When we arrived at Mrs .Iduate's classroom, we sat in our assigned seats. Sadly, James had to sit next to me.

     "Hola! Me llamo Mrs.Iduate. Today we will be working on a restaraunt project. You and the person sitting next to you will create a restaraunt together. You will have to make a menu and a skit based on your restaraunt. Of course, your menus must be in Spanish and so do your lines in your skit. If you have any questions, I'll be at my desk," Mrs .Iduate announced.

     Great. Now I have to work with the guy who stares at me weirdly. I didn't know what to do. Was I supposed to ask him questions on what restaraunt we should do? Or is it the other way around? For the rest of the period, we sat in silence. None of us said a word. At the last 5 minutes of class, I felt a buzzing in my pocket. I grabbed my phone and I had one text message from Kandace. I slowly pulled my phone out of my pocket and made sure Mrs.Iduate couldn't see me.

                                        Kandace: Wat's the name of ur restaraunt?

                                        Kahleah: idk. we haven't thought of it yet

                                        Kandace. Oh. class is almost over. txt u l8r :)

     I put my phone back in my pocket. I looked over at James and he was practically asleep. He had his head in his hands and I could hear him snoring. He might just wear a sign saying he's sleeping.

     "Class is dismissed. Adios," Mrs.Iduate said.

     As I tried to get out, Mrs.Iduate stopped me.

     "I better not see that phone again. This is your warning," Mrs.Iduate said while laughing.

     I laughed too. Mrs. Iduate seemed really nice. As I stepped out of the classroom, I felt someone tap my shoulder.

     "Hey. We're going shopping at 5:00. Wanna come?" Kandace asked.

     "Sure. Is James coming?" I asked.

     "Why? Do you like him?" Kandace laughed. "I won't tell Cimberly. The answer's yes," Kandace said as she walked towards Cimberly and James.

     "That's not what I-I-" I said to Kandace, but she was already gone. Meant I said in my head. That's not what I meant.