o n e

“Hi, my name is Rose. I am 17 years old, and I’m an alcoholic.”

“Hi, Rose.” The room full of strangers chorus back to her. “Uh I’ve been coming here for three weeks now, but I’ve only been sober for a week.” She takes a deep breath, finding the strength to continue when loud noise comes from the back of the room as a boy enters. His white blonde hair is a mess, and judging by the wrinkles on his green plaid flannel he’s just woken up. Sunglasses shade his eyes from the harsh lighting in the meeting room. Tight, black skinny jeans seem to melt into the black boots on his large feet. Everyone’s head turns to stare at the newcomer as he makes his way to the last row and slumps down in a chair, arms crossed over his chest. “I started drinking to numb the pain.” Rose concludes and quickly sits back down.           

“Would you like to go next?” the meeting leader Neil addresses the boy.

             “Uh not particularly, no.”

            “You just have to say your name, age, how many weeks sober, and why you started drinking.” The boy reluctantly makes his way to the podium. Standing there leaned up against the wooden stand his eyes are locked on hers.

            “Michael. I’m 17, I started drinking because it’s fun and I’ve been sober for about,” he looks at his wrist that is bare, “twenty minutes.” A small smirk forms on his lips. He saunters back over to his seat.

            “Ok, well thank you everyone for sharing. Good improvement this week.” Neil dismisses everyone. Rose gathers her belongings into her over the shoulder bag and makes her way outside to her old, red VW bug. It’s her baby. Tossing her bag inside she’s stopped by a voice behind her.

            “Hey, wait!” Michael jogs up to her. He takes her in. From her long neon pink hair, her black Van Halen tank top, to her charcoal gray skinny jeans and combat boots. She was perfect to him. Something straight out of his dreams. “Uh hi, I’m Michael.”

            “Yea, I heard. Did you need something?” She wasn’t trying to be a bitch, she just didn’t understand why this boy was talking to her.

            “Your name?”

            “Come back on time next week and find out.” With that she slides into the drivers seat and turns on her car, igniting it music blares out her open windows.

New Michael story :) so um yea. Based on the song by Ed Sheeran <3 Vote, comment let me know what you think so far! xo -Rachel