Chapter 10

Violet's POV

"Violet, dear, wake up. Violet, really, you've overslept again," Penelope's exasperated voice called faintly. I felt her hand on my arm, shaking me gently.

I groaned slightly, rolling over to my back and rubbing my eyes. "It feels like I've only been sleeping for a minute." After my run in with Nicolas, I'd run straight to bed. Unfortunately I couldn't sleep a wink.

Penelope clicked her tongue, throwing the warm covers off of me. "Come now," she said, grasping my hands and pulling me to a sitting position, "you mustn't be late for breakfast."

Opening my eyes, I saw my lady's maids fluttering about the room, toting dresses, hair accessories, and jewelry. "Did I forget something?" I asked groggily. 

"No, no," Penelope said as she yanked my to my feet, "your cousin Theodoro is visiting with his betrothed." She guided me over to my vanity and plopped me down into the chair before I could even yawn. 

"Lovely," I muttered, cringing as one of the girls hit a tangle in my hair with the brush.

Penelope swiftly bumped the clumsy maid out of the way and resumed brushing my hair herself. "Now you must be on your best behavior. I know Theodoro isn't your favorite cousin, but if you want your father to treat you like a queen-to-be, you must stop with the childish pranks."

I sighed slightly, rolling my eyes. "Penelope, he is awful. Truly and completely awful. Twenty two years old and he acts like a pretentious old man. Even Julie thinks so."

She pinned up my hair with effortless speed, shaking her head as usual. "He is simply proud of his education, Violet," she halfheartedly asserted in a way that suggested she agreed with me. "Regardless, act like a lady, I beg you."

Standing up and turning away from the mirror, I grinned at her. "Of course. Would I ever let you down?"

She shook her head again, taking my dress from one of the maids. "Heaven help me."

I dressed quickly and Penelope pinched some color into my cheeks, then I was promptly shoved out the door. I took a leisurely walk down to breakfast, purely out of spite. 

"Darling, there you are," my mother exclaimed with a smile as I walked through the door. "Come, greet your good cousin." She waved me over next to her where my portly cousin sat, eyeing his plate already piled high with biscuits, eggs, and pastries. His mop of curly hair and ruddy cheeks were the same as always, and his pinched nose was high in the air. 

I plastered on my best smile and walked around the long table to them, curtsying politely. "Theodoro," I said in what I hoped was a pleasant tone. 

He nodded properly in response, kissing my outstretched hand. "Cousin, you are certainly more becoming every time I visit. May I introduce you, Violet, to my beautiful bride-to-be."

I looked at the woman sitting quietly to his left. Her eyes were almond shaped and green as the emeralds around her neck, and her dark hair flowed softly over her shoulders and generous bosom. She was stunningly beautiful at first, but there was a sharpness about her face and a certain coldness in her features that made me uneasy.

"This is Duchess Carolina Fidelia Woolcot, the beloved light of my days," Theodoro cooed, looking at her with almost as much desire as he did his breakfast plate. 

"Pleased to meet you," she said with a slight smile. I noticed she did not return Theodoro's loving gaze, not that he seemed to notice.

"Likewise," I responded, "I hope you very much enjoy your time here."

After the appropriate amount of small talk, I made my way over to the empty seat next to Juliana.

"She's beautiful isn't she?" Julie whispered as I sat down.