A Talk

It is after the kiss, arms still wrapped tightly around Lestat, when Louis speaks, "Lestat, we need to talk about your behavior these last few days." He can see Lestat's walls forming, his eyes hardening.

"Don't be ridiculous Louis, everything is fine."

"And yet, I do not believe you when you say that. Please, stop lying to me."

"I'm not," his voice is quiet, eyes closed.

"Stop lying to yourself."

"Louis it's the only thing keeping me sane," they're spoken so fast, so low, that Louis barely hears the words.

"I don't think it's working," he states. His head rests against Lestat's shoulder, deep eyes gazing up at the other. Lestat opens his eyes, turning his head to face Louis, whose nose scrunches up as blonde hair brushes his face.

"Fuck." He whispers, as if unaware the words have left his mouth, "fucking hell."

Louis' eyebrows knit together, mimicking the ones in front of him. "What?"

"I love you," he is impossibly quiet, "I really, really love you. And it scares me."

Louis remains silent, watching the walls turn to gates and let him in.

"I love you, too." He murmurs, and Lestat casts his eyes down, exhaling.

"And that is the problem- never before has it stopped you from leaving. You love me, yet you still leave me. I cannot make you stay forever, and you don't love me enough to ever stay long. There lies the difference in our love."

Louis does not know what to say. His eyes scan Lestat's face, lips pressed together.

"I am here now," is all Louis can say, yet he can tell it isn't enough.

"I know." Lestat releases a drawn out sigh, "But where from here do we go?"

"You have work, do you not? How about starting there?" Lestat rolls his eyes at the response, casting them to the red numbers gleaming in the dark room.

"Fuck!" He exclaims, much different than before, "I'm late."

And suddenly Louis is all action, releasing Lestat for the wardrobe that stands a few feet away.

"What do you wear?"

"A pair of jeans and any shirt, it doesn't matter," both are moving fast, Lestat pulling off the clothes he wears as Louis replaces them with high waisted light blue skinny jeans and a plain black tee shirt. They are already halfway out the door before Lestat even has one shoe on. He is nearly an hour late for his shift.

When he walks behind the counter, hair hastily being pulled into a messy bun, he receives a very pointed look from his coworker.

"Never again," they mutter angrily, pushing past Lestat. There are few in the warm room: a younger looking girl tapping away at a laptop, while not too far away a couple drunkards shush one another. < They are no surprise, with the club directly across they're prone to catching a few stragglers drifting out the black painted doors. >

And in the corner, tucked away from the controlled chaos, sits Louis. He leans against the booth, eyes following Lestat's movements; they trace his path as he checks inventory, simultaneously tying the deep green Cafe apron around his waist. As Lestat goes his eyes are focused, unaware of the ones that trail him. He subconsciously tucks any stray hairs behind his ear, going to the front counter once again. Lestat feels his eyes drifting to Louis, a smile coming to his face as they make contact. Louis, dark and brooding Louis, gives a smile back. He points at Lestat, signaling for him to come over.

"What?" Lestat murmurs, using his hands to lean on the table.

"I have to go." Lestat's eyes flicker closed, blinking twice. Louis covers Lestat's hand with his own, "I'll be back, I promise."

"Alright," Lestat murmurs with a single nod. But he doesn't meet Louis' eyes. Gentle lips press tenderly against Lestat's, lingering even after he has gone- a ghost of future could be's sparking across chapped skin.

{This took much longer to write than I had anticipated, and is way shorter than I had wanted it to be. But I fear that I am at a roadblock- I have no idea where I had originally wanted to go with this chapter. If y'all have any requests or ideas feel free to comment them.}