MORNING STAR

WALLACE

I woke up at 2:00 AM this time.

I had to inspect that space craft, and I needed to be prepared while doing so. 

I put on my usual wear, and started looking for something useful.

If there was anything dangerous inside of the craft, I should've been equipped with something to defend myself.

Unfortunately, guns were always impossible to find.  I needed something else to use.

I spotted an old fire extinguisher in a corner as I was getting my goggles.  Maybe I could've used it as a club.

"Amazing decision, Wallace.  Amazing.  If you encounter an alien, just bat it on the head with a fire extinguisher.  Fantastic." I thought to myself in a sarcastic tone.

I silently climbed down to the lower level of the wreck to see my mother sleeping by the smoking embers of the campfire she'd started.

I gave her a soft kiss on one of the few white streaks of her brown, silky hair.

"See you in a bit, Mom."

I silently walked out of the door and began trekking over to Tom's house.

When I arrived, I had to climb over the hull of the yacht and into the window to get to Tom's bunk.

I looked at him from a safe distance. He was snoring and drooling.  Not only that but it seemed he'd gone to sleep holding his lucky magnifying glass.

It was time to piss him off.

I shook him violently and he woke up screaming.

I clamped a hand over his mouth and put a finger to mine.

"Shhhhh..."

"WALL-E, WHAT THE-"

I slapped him.

Tom suddenly retracted the urge to shout.

"Thomas Perry Wyvern, I am going to check out this space craft and you sir, are coming with me."

Tom stared out of his window and then back at me.  He continued to do so for the next ten seconds.

"You really won't give up on this, will you?"

I shook my head.

He sighed.

"I guess I can't just let you go alone."

With that, Tom walked with me over to the sand glider.

I looked over to him in confusion.

"Do you remember which direction we went in the last time we drove this thing?"

"How do you expect me to remember?"

"Well, you're the smart one, so I thought you'd know."

Tom rolled his eyes and jumped into the glider.

"Let's just drive forward.  If we see anything, then we're screwed.  If we don't, we're safe."

I reluctantly agreed with him and hopped into the passenger seat alongside him.

We drove straight for what felt like forever.  Literally.  Imagine just driving straight with no road, no scenery, no object in sight.  It was just endless smooth sand for miles.

Surprisingly, we were only driving for about three minutes.

"You got anything, Wall-E?"

I shook my head, and looked over to him in worry.