Chapter 8 - Critical Condition

✳✳✳

Beep.

Beep.

Beep.

The doctors told me he was in critical condition. He was critical when I visited and critical when I left 8 hours later, sore and somber as I walked to the parking garage. I had practically knocked out as soon as I got home, and I woke up at five to wait at the hospital again.

"Mr. Max Codham?" The nurse called, her eyes tired. I looked up sharply as she spoke.

"There's a... Kevin Weld asking to see you."

I sprang up from the faux leather chair and rushed down the hallway, towards his room. A doctor in a pressed white coat stopped me as I neared the cheap glass door.

"Now, it's important that, when going in there, you don't agitate him. No making him mad or anything, and especially don't make him laugh." He warned.

"Well shit, I'm not allowed to crack a joke?" I offered lamely, but he just rolled his eyes at me and moved on to the next patient.

Gingerly, I pressed on the cold surface of the hospital door and it opened with an unhealthy creak. I sucked in a breath of air as I looked at Kevin. He coughed roughly into the side of his palm before looking at me. My heart lurched as I took in his appearance, from his skin's deathly shade of white to the bags under his eyes. He looked tired, worse than I'd ever seen him before.

"Hey Max." He said weakly.

"H...Hi, Kevin." I mumbled, staring at the ground. There was a long moment of silence before I spoke up again.

"Are you doing okay?" I almost punched myself. What a fucking stupid question...

He chuckled softly. "A little bit less than okay, but I'd say I'm doing pretty well, wouldn't you?"

The causality in his voice made me stiffen. "Kevin... it's all my fault. It's my fault you're here. I'm sorry. I'm so, so sorry. I didn't mean for any of this to happen..." My voice broke and I trailed off silently.

He glanced sideways at me before smiling sadly. "Max, it is NOT your fault. Nothing that happened to me is because of you. I just wanted to protect you, a person who's made my life so much better in so many ways. Max... you're one of the best things to ever happen to me, and if I had to get shot to keep you from harm's way, I'd GLADLY do it again."

Tears started to form in the corners of my eyes, and I quickly blinked them away. I needed to stay strong... if not for me, then for Kevin.

"I'm gonna get that son of a bitch who hurt you, Kevin. I swear to God I'm going to get him." I whispered, fury building up in my chest. He shook his head quickly, grabbing my arm.

"It's too dangerous." He protested, but I gave his hand a small squeeze before turning towards the hospital door.

"Trust me." I stated, before stepping out of the room.

✳✳✳