Enigmatic - Divergent/Eric Fanfiction

Erudite.

Characterized by great knowledge; learned or scholarly.

Something that I certainly didn't have much of... At all. I'd tried my hardest, tried to keep up with the other children that were calculating all kinds of sums, coming out with numbers that made my head pound. It had been hopeless.

And it's here, as I'm climbing up the side of the railway with the Dauntless members, that I realise how much of a good decision I'd made. I was destined for Dauntless.

My parents had realised that I had a bleak future in Erudite when I was about ten. They'd prayed that I'd be able to figure it all out in the end, they'd given me god knows how much tutoring, but I'd constantly failed. It wasn't until I'd completely messed up in a lab experiment at school by mixing two chemicals that weren't even supposed to be on the same desk, never mind in test tubes together, that they knew for a fact that I wouldn't ever make it as an Erudite. They'd tried their hardest to convince me that Amity would be a good place for me in the future, they'd spent the last seven years trying to make sure that I'd have a secure place to live my life. Unfortunately for them, my heart had been set on something much more wild. I wanted to join Dauntless, and that was where I was going to go whether my Parents and my Aptitude test agreed or not. My parent's faces had dropped when I dripped my blood into the dark, sizzling coals, and it hadn't been a very nice last look at my parents. My Father'd had a grimace present on his features, and my Mother had looked incredibly confused... But I was certain that they'd get over it. They couldn't protect me forever.

I stand beside the track and catch my breath as the sound of the train horn fills my ears. I knew what we were supposed to do. We were supposed to jump on whilst it's still moving. I'd watched the Dauntless after school enough to know that. The door of each train car is open, waiting for the Dauntless-born initiates to jump in, and they do, until only the new initiates are left. I take a deep breath, then start running alongside the train, before throwing myself sideways. I cling onto the handle of the door for a few seconds before managing to yank myself up and into the car.

I stand up properly and catch my breath again, smiling to myself. I hadn't even thought about it, I'd just jumped. I bit down on my bottom lip and turned to look at the view of the city. I felt the wind rush through my long blonde hair, and I couldn't help but smile again. It was then that I heard a squeal, and turned to see that a small Amity girl was still on the outside of the car, clinging on to the handle tightly. I stepped to the side slightly, and held onto the door, before reaching my hand out and pulling her in.

"Thank you so much!" She panted, pushing the mousey blonde hair out of her face.

"No problem." I answered, smiling at her.

She smiled back at me, showing a row of straight pearly white teeth. She had light blue eyes that sparkled slightly, and her hair was fairly long and wavy, the front of it pinned back. "I really thought I wasn't going to make it."

"Don't think. Just do." I told her, without even realising what I'd said. I guess it was what I had been telling myself on the run up to this day.

She nodded. "You're clever. I like you."

I laughed. "You're the first person to ever tell me that!"

"What?! You're a Erudite, how have you never been told you're clever?!"

"I was an Erudite." I corrected. "And you don't want to know why, but let's just say it's the reason I didn't stay."

She nodded again. "Okay." She smiled some more, and I saw the Amity in her, she seemed very optimistic.