V. I'm Climbing Daily (Until I See the Top)

"I'll race you all the way to the lodge."

Johnny gazes out ahead of him, eyeing the vast scenery of pointed peaks and sunken valleys, the sun above shining heartily on the sheets and sheets of miles deep snow. He breathes in deeply, the air clear yet thin from such an altitude, wind howling around his red ears which he tucks the tips of under his beanie. He looks at Taeyong, standing ready beside him, decked out in similar gear: thick, padded coats and pants; protective gloves and goggles; warm hats and scarves, all in use to keep their body warmth trapped in and to keep the chilling, minus one-degree temperature out.

"What do I get if I win?" he challenges, bringing the heavy eyewear from resting on his head to over his eyes.

"Why don't we just race for fun?"

"What's the fun in that?"

Taeyong chuckles and motions to the mountain range they stand upon. "This is the fun in that."

Johnny will admit that standing up so high on such an extensive, beautiful platform is indeed harrowing, yet incredibly satisfying. Up here, so far away from the busy city he's used to being in, the tranquil, tree topped mountains feel so much like a home; like they're a place Johnny feels that he knows and feels that can trust; like they're a place Johnny feels he belongs. Not to mention the afflicting conditions that power against the skiers and snowboarders alike make for a wholesome triumph when conquered. Johnny knows what Taeyong means. He means that being up in a secluded ski range like this is a gift, a treasure all to be indulged, and he can't help but completely agree.

Taeyong yanks his hood over his head and swings his snowboard around, tipping it dangerously over the peak where nothing but miles and miles of snow-covered slopes lead him to the grand ski lodge right at the bottom. They're the only ones up this high; after riding the helpful cable cart to the top of the authorized ski zone, Johnny and Taeyong found themselves fronted with a need for a bigger thrill, thus they trekked ten minutes higher up the mountain to a staggering peak some three miles higher than cable cart drop off.

"Granted," Johnny replies, "but I bet you I can land a triple this time."

"Eat my ass," Taeyong snorts, "the last time you tried that, you nearly broke your neck. And the neck of the five-year-old you rode into."

"First of all, who lets their five-year-old ride a snowboard on their own in the middle of the Alps? And second of all, that wasn't-- hey, wait, Tae, you didn't say we were going yet!"

Johnny watches as Taeyong, having jumped mid-sentence from the ledge, zips down the white mountain, scoffing as the latter calls, "You snooze, you lose!" He kicks the snow off his own board and straps his foot into the latch, following suit with a deep breath and launching his whole body off the verticle peak.

The wind, unsuspecting of two fast boarders cutting through her path, battles against Johnny as he leans into the rhythm of his board sliding over snow that ripples away and leaves a trail in its wake. He leans back, slowing as he catches up to Taeyong, and rides along side him.

"Tell you what." Taeyong pauses and rides a ramp, landing after a high jump and a method grab. "Land a triple and I'll buy food tonight."

Johnny dodges some trees and laughs. "Whatever I eat you'll buy?"

"Deal?"

"Deal!"

Johnny races down the hill, zooming past the cart drop off and to the nearest, strategically placed long box where he completes a 180 on and off into some spinning butters. He looks back up to Taeyong, falling behind, who calls, "Watch where you're going!" only to be dismissed by Johnny as he shouts, "Hurry up, I want you to see this!" He speeds towards a snow ledge, built a few feet high, that sits in the middle of the shallowing slope down. He calms his breathing, his hot breaths puffing condensation up over his goggles as he braces his body, crouching and tensing as the jump grows nearer and nearer and nearer until he's launching himself up into the air.