Death Comes for Us All...Sometimes

En başından başla

Somehow, Reaper manages to see Cerberus's predicament, and she abandons all war with her lifelong enemy to help him. I'm utterly shocked that her priority lies with him, considering how vigorously she's been hunting us down, and if I was talking to begin with, I'd be rendered speechless. Roaring with fury, she launches a dagger aimed for my throat. I barely see the thing until it flashes silver in Elektra's lightning. Caught off guard, I dodge, but lose my hold on Cerberus, who gasps for airs and coughs out water. He uses my power to melt the ice from his feet, but that doesn't mean Reaper is done with me.

Tonight, she's without her educated banter and tantalizing smirks. Now, it's all business. Her thrown dagger digs itself into the ground a few feet away from me. Not sure how, or if, I'll use it, I go for the blade anyways, this way I keep it out of Reaper's grasp.

Sprinting for the knife, I'm held back as something cold wraps itself around one of my ankles and solidifies itself, giving me a hard yank, landing me flat on my stomach. I recognize this attack as a sort of water lasso; one end frigid ice to keep me locked in, the rest of it a strong river. Cerberus uses my power to throw me around, bashing my back into the ground, twisting me in the air, using my body to illustrate me as a tumbleweed blowing in a desert.

"Here!" Reaper calls, the direction of her voice untraceable with all the angles I'm being contorted into. But Cerberus knows what to do as he flings me to the right. From the corner of my eye, I see I'm barreling straight to Reaper, right side first. I'm too panicked to launch an attack of my own. Due to the rush of nerves and adrenaline, I only feel something entering my body; severing my tissues and muscles, but the pain doesn't follow. Either way, nothing can be much worse from being branded another mark. Nevertheless, I know that Reaper's second dagger has sunken deep into my side and I need to tread carefully so it doesn't puncture something fatal, if it hasn't already. I allow myself to go limp, not risking squirming the knife into something like a lung. "Again!" she shouts, voice shaking with untamable, passionate anger. Though we were nodding at each other minutes ago, she's trying to slice and dice my torso.

I don't know if it's a curse or blessing, but I know I can't get too mad over it. Someone was trying to kill Reaper's Cerberus, and she had the guts to do something about it. Unlike me, who watched as Ren plummeted into the core of the earth, falling into an endless pit that only Xavier knows.

But as the dagger leaves my body, which is being reared back by Cerberus. It's either now or never to do something. Doing the easiest maneuver I know, I clench my fists, freezing the rest of the lasso. Unexpected, Cerberus can't hold the sudden weight and releases his hold on the water, allowing me to gain a few seconds to melt the whole thing. Quickly, I examine my side, which is slathered in blood. Still, I don't feel the pain, but that doesn't mean I shouldn't be cautious of it.

Back on my feet, I feel more confident. I grapple two water ribbons, freezing the ends to razor-sharp points. Using them like a set of ball-and-chains, I sling them around, engaging in guiding the water but using the frenzy of the fight to make the motions violent. I bring down one of my weapons in a downward arc, slashing Cerberus across the chest. Reaper doesn't miss a moment, flaring up with renewed vexation, flying straight towards me. The anger turns her skin into shades of black. She either thinks I'm a worthy enough opponent to use her power against me, or her body is reacting to the danger I'm putting Cerberus in, similar to how the world froze around me as I watched Ren die.

As my second weapon pierces her gut, Reaper responds rapidly, using her knife to shatter the icy tip. Unfazed by the open wound in her stomach, she pursues me. Rushed, I bring the two ribbons together, huddling my fists close to her. Then I squeeze my hands so tight that my nails dig into my palms, freezing the water mid-air. As Reaper draws closer, I unfurl my fingers, flexing them so they're as straight as pencils. Responding to my action, the block of ice springs out into multiple ice-daggers, vaulting themselves in Reaper's direction.