In the Lair of the Draca (Book 2) Chapter 43: Spiders and Dragon Battles

Start from the beginning

Green Wings started to protest, but Pomoq pointed a warning finger into her beady, resentful eyes. "I'll tell you what your problem is," he said sternly. "You've been coddled since you were the tiny chick I found abandoned on the ground in front of the village. You had not only worms, dragonflies, and slugs to feast on, but the rich morsels of crumbs from Evening folk dinner plates. Do you think you own anything that is given to you?"

A long, shrill, keening squawk.

"Ha! You no more own those five chicklings than you own the wind that whispers through your nesting at night. All living things are gifts from the Twin Moons; for the Twin Moons give, and the Twin Moons can take away."

Green Wings ruffled her breast feathers and was broodingly silent.

"Good; I'm glad we had this little discussion, and I believe you feel validated by it. Now forget this feud with Red Tail and do what you do best. By the time Sashek leaves, I expect you back into the forest and with those precious chicks of yours. Agreed?"

The tiny creature shrilled her agreement, spread her wings, and circled the lodge twice before alighting gently on Sashek's right shoulder. Surprised and not a little shocked, Sashek found that she was strangely pleased.

Pomoq managed to heave himself up off of his sleeping bench. Although he was very old, he had been doing more exercises lately and was exceptionally limber; relying less and less on his walking staff, Pomoq seemed healthier than ever-- although the staff was never far out of sight.

"Now then, Sashek, I presume you would not come to me this late if you didn't have bad news...?" He struck a bit of fire from a kindling match, used it to light a short length of white candle in a gold-rimmed container, and shuffled back to his bench.

"I wish I didn't have bad news," Sashek said, fidgeting uncomfortably, "but I didn't know where else to turn, Elder. Earlier today, Waru came to the lodge with a loaf of bread for Ziuta to take to Malaraq's lodge. I guess he's supposed to have it as a sort of last meal. And while she was at the door, Joo-Lee beat me to the front of the lodge." Sashek paused, wringing her hands, and finally blurted. "Pomoq, Waru saw Joo-Lee's stomach!"

Pomoq's eyebrows raised, but he said nothing.

"I had to struggle to explain that the size of Joo-Lee's belly was related to a bad liver and poorly-functioning kidneys, but Waru is a smart girl. She argued with me, and in the end, I don't know if she believed me or not. But you have to help us!" Sashek beseeched, falling to her knees and clasping her hands in front of Pomoq's lap. Green Wings peeped, resettled herself, and dug her sharp little claws into Sashek's shoulder.

"I don't have to do anything," Pomoq corrected her firmly, "but I can certainly pass on some advice, if that is what you came for."

Sashek shook her head wildly. "No, respected Elder," she insisted. "Joo-Lee is soon to pass the hatchling, and is in immediate, acute danger."

Pomoq nodded and fingered his chin, as though musing. "I would have to agree," he said after some time. "It certainly doesn't seem right that Waru would sent Ziuta off to Malaraq's with a load of bread that she could have delivered herself instead; something definitely isn't right there. ...As for Waru noticing Joo-Lee's belly, I'm afraid you are correct.The Matron won't rest until Joo-Lee is tossed out into the elements like some sort of deformed infant." And here Pomoq shook his head sadly.

"That's what I've been trying to tell you," Sashek said, trying hard to swallow a lump of frustration. "But is there nothing you can do? Can Joo-Lee not be hidden, perhaps in one of the surrounding villages? I could deliver her to Hidden Well or DayBreak myself, and if Ziuta tagged along--"