He felt her presence near and reached out to where he thought she was. His hand shot out, his fist tightening around empty air. A frown tugged at his lips again. Where was she? Wasn't she waiting for him?

As if in response, he felt her breath hit the back of his neck, warm and inviting. Her warm fingers gently curled around his hair, teasing him. 

"Build it up with wood and clay, my fair lady..." she whispered, her slim fingers wispy as they trailed down from his head to his arm. His giddy smile returned, goofier than the last due to the absolute glee he felt. He opened his eyes to see a girl his age. The road was foggy, and her face was smothered. He longed to see her, the feeling tugging at his gut incessantly. Without her, there was no reason for him to continue. 

Her fingers continued to trace his arm, and he felt numbness follow her fingers' path. He let out a childish giggle, trying to reach out to her. She delicately hopped out of the way, but held his hand, slightly tugging him forward. He obliged to the unspoken signal, and followed her without complaint. (H/L) (H/C) hair twirled along with her body as she danced. His grin widened further, if possible. His eyes hazily followed the strands of hair, mesmerized as they swayed under the moonlight.

"Wood and clay will wash away,

Wash away,

Wash away..." A pang of gut-wrenching sadness and guilt came with that line, surprising him. He blinked, furrowing his brow for a second, his grip on her hand loosening. She turned around to look back at him and shook her head, bringing her finger to her lips. She tapped twice, looking at him pointedly. Still in a daze, he nodded numbly, mimicking her gesture.

A small smile teased her lips, though her eyes remained empty and dull. Her mouth opened, and he listened attentively as the next notes came out, his eyes trained on her lips.

"Wood and clay will wash away, my fair lady..."

A nimble shadow leaped across the buildings, their form briefly appearing over them. He wasn't startled, though he felt he should be.

The fog started to fade, and he squinted, only just being able to make out the outline of a carriage of sorts. 

Her touch suddenly felt ice cold, and he started tugging the other way. Her eyes widened in alarm, the last note dying on her lips. His trance lessened moreso, and he wrenched his hand out of her grasp. A sense of foreboding and fear hit him full force. Something was wrong with this place. Every nerve screamed for him to run and he was more than happy to obey. He spun on his heel, darting the other way. His heart palpitated, pumping the oxygen-rich blood through his muscles; his lungs matching the speed, if not more, frantically taking in air. Whatever that is, it scares the shit out of me! He thought to himself, not daring to look back. If he had, he would have seen the girl's face frozen in shock, her arm still outstretched from where he'd left it.

A tall, dark form jumped down beside her, his feet touching the ground silently. She shivered, shame taking over her previous surprise. His hand clamped down on her shoulder, squeezing lightly. "Now lookit you've gone and done, (C/N)." Joker's familiar voice brought her comfort despite his admonishment. She nodded solemnly, looking at the speckled cobblestones below their feet. 

From in front of them, she heard Jumbo land on the ground with a thump. The poor boy screamed and she squeezed her eyes shut. I hate doing this. I hate it, I hate it, I hate it.

She heard her bigger partner throw the boy over his shoulder and stomp over. Joker patted her back and she could hear the smile in his voice, "Well, do your thing!" She knew he hated it too. Everyone did. Hiding their guilt behind fake smiles. If only Father didn't have any leverage, we could be a free circus. One without secrets. Just for pure entertainment. She gave a bittersweet smile when the thought crossed her mind for the umpteenth time. If only life didn't always have a catch.