Chapter 10 - Decision Time

"Who sent you?" The voice was deep and commanding

"Who sent you?" The voice was deep and commanding. The pistol's barrel jabbed painfully into James' neck.

"Guido." The youngster choked with fear. The barrel wandered upwards towards his skull.

"And, how is he?" The Yorkshire accent was very distinctive.

"I don't know - I've never met him."

"Good answer," and to James' relief, he heard the gun being uncocked.

He turned to meet a powerfully built man with a flowing red beard and moustache. But behind were intelligent eyes surveying Thornton; he ordered," Let's get out of sight."

He led the way to a room above the stables. Apart from the strong smell of horse manure from below, it was clean if spartan.

"Right there's bread, cheese and ale in the cupboard, help yourself." James only now realised how hungry he was. As he ate, Johnson examined the papers brought from the Netherlands. Then, selecting one, he held it to the candle and writing appeared. Fascinated James watched as the man worked with quill and paper to decode the hidden message. However, he was not to know its content. For Johnson turned and said," You'll be tired. Take that mattress over there and get some sleep." Willingly the younger man obeyed.

He woke only once in the night and sensed Johnson sitting by a low fire deep in thought. But he then quickly returned to the deep slumber of youth.

The Sun shone in early the next morning and grooms were joking below as they mucked out the horses. The Yorkshireman was about his business as James arose.

"I'll be away for the morning - stay here undercover. I will need you to go back this afternoon."

With that, he donned his tall hat and was away.

James found he had time to think. With his home and Cathy a few days' travel north, he decided he would take his chances with the Sheriff.

However, his escape route lay via the tavern. As he pushed his way through, a familiar voice whispered in his ear, "Where are you going, my bonny lad?" He turned to find Morella inches from him; her hot breath on his cheeks. Then she pulled him to her and enticed, "We'll go upstairs and I'll make a man of you." She pulled him up the rickety wooden steps as customers smiled at the barmaid's wiles. James did not resist.

An hour later, he descended unsteadily. James Thornton of Coaton Hall may have become a man, but he was also ashamed. He had cheated on the only one he loved. A cheater he would be no more he vowed. Morella had earned her golden crown from the man who called himself Johnson; for the boy was still in play.

James got to the gate of Tilbury docks by day-break. The sleepy keeper, removing the bar from the doors, let James through only asking his name. Taken by surprise, he made out that he was the son of a well-known merchant. This was his first mistake. His second was not to notice a near-by beggar who, despite his outer rags, had on well-made riding boots. A vagrant who had good ears.