Chapter 8

The songs I listened to while writing were Not Afraid by Eminem, Alexander Hamilton by The Original Broadway Cast of Hamilton and Dancing In The Dark by Bruce Springsteen.

This is the outfit that Y/N is wearing in the chapter.

*

"You have to look perfect," Aleeza gushed, rummaging through my clothes. "Put the effort in to make yourself look effortless."

The Hogsmeade trip began in just over an hour and my friends were panicking over my trip with Oliver. They still considered it a date, refusing to describe it in any other way. I had quickly realised that there was nothing I could do to change their mindset. Instead, I accepted their cheekiness and let them get me ready.

Aleeza had taken up the job of clothes coordinator, Louise was stationed by her makeup and Sasha was prepping me on conversation topics because she had known Oliver for the longest. Gillian, on the other hand, had made it quite clear she had no interest in my not-date with Oliver. I was rather grateful for that. Having three excitable people fussing over your every action could easily become overwhelming.

Eventually, they had come to final decisions. Aleeza had picked out my favourite pair of grey skinny jeans, my black Converse, a dark red top, a black coat and a matching beanie. Louise coordinated with the clothes, choosing a pale pink lipstick and an eyeshadow palette featuring pinks, browns and purples.

"Remember to not say anything bad about Puddlemere United," Sasha advised. "It's always been his dream to play for them."

"I'm sure he will after he graduates," I said.

"I agree!" Gillian piped up. "He's much better than whatever chaser they have now."

"Do you mean keeper?" Louise suggested.

"Pardon me?"

"Oliver's a keeper, not a chaser," explained Aleeza. She glanced at me and raised her eyebrows.

Gillian suddenly had a coughing fit. After she calmed down, she said, "I know that - I'm not stupid." I stifled a scoff. "I'm just saying he's better than the current chaser."

"That makes so much sense," Sasha said flatly.

I picked up my clothes and makeup, walking to the bathroom. Fully dressed, I examined myself in the mirror. I actually looked good. My friends had their uses, I suppose. When I emerged, their faces lit up.

"We did well, guys," Sasha said. After I turned to leave, she whispered, "There'll be sparks tonight." I pretended I didn't hear her and continued walking, but I couldn't stop the smile spreading on my face. I did look good.

*

Significantly fewer students congregated in the courtyard than last year. I assumed they had chosen to study instead of going out for the rest of the day. Although I knew my studies were incredibly important at the moment, I thought a break would be well deserved. There seemed to be around 20 other fifth years with the same mindset. But no Oliver yet.

I shivered. The forecast had predicted a high of 9°C. I was suddenly thankful for my coat, even though it didn't protect me from the cold completely.

It was a few more minutes of awkward waiting before Oliver came into sight. He was wrapped up too, wearing a dark pea coat that hugged his frame well.

"Hello," he said cheerfully. "It's chilly today."

"Yeah," I agreed. During the silence that followed, I found myself thinking of Sasha's conversation tips. Then I remembered that I could talk to people myself. "What're you planning on getting from Madam Puddifoot's?"

He paused to choose his answer. "Prue did make those pumpkin pies sound appealing. What about you?"

"I might try one, too," I said, "because they do sound good, don't they?"

Our conversation was interrupted by Filch calling for our permission slips. We lined up to hand them over. He snatched mine up before grunting at me to move along faster. Oliver followed suit and we made small talk as we made our way to the village.

When we did arrive at Madam Puddifoot's, I was unsurprised but still taken aback to see the cafe nearly full with couples. There was a reason that all the tables were for two people. Oliver led me inside, looking uncomfortable, and gestured at an empty table in the corner. I nodded, blushing as he pulled back my chair for me.

"Thanks," I said. He smiled in response.

"This is more...loved up than I expected," he admitted. "It's a bit disconcerting."

"I know," I laughed. "When I told my friends I was coming here, the first thing they said was 'it's a date'."

"I can see why they got that impression," he said, scanning the many hand-holding couples. "Anyway, I'll get us both a slice of pumpkin pie."

I said thank you and Oliver stood to go order. Twiddling my thumbs, I sensed the eyes of multiple people on my back. In fact, I heard the whispers of people wondering if we were together. The Gryffindor keeper and the Ravenclaw chaser - a modern Romeo and Juliet. I could only imagine the rumours that would be flying around tomorrow. I silently prepared answers to the questions I'd be asked. No, we're not dating. No, I don't fancy him. And yes, we went there as friends.

"Two slices of pumpkin pie," Oliver said, setting down a delicate brown plate in front of me. A perfect piece of pumpkin pie sat on it. My mouth watered at the sight.

"Let me pay you back," I said, rummaging in my pocket for some change.

But when I tried to give him some money, he pushed my hand away. "My treat," he insisted.

"But-"

"No buts."

"You're seriously too nice to me," I complained. "You know, for supposed rivals on the field, we're actually rather close."

He shrugged. "I like surrounding myself with good company." Smiling, he gestured at me. "Hence, you."

"Likewise," I replied, fighting a blush. I hid my face by keeping my eyes fixed on my food as I broke a piece off with my fork. The smell was absolutely divine. I instinctively shut my eyes as I put the pie in my mouth. "This is incredible," I commented after swallowing.

Oliver's mouth was occupied with pie, so he nodded in agreement.

After we had escaped the romance that defines Madam Puddifoot's, we decided to browse in Honeydukes before heading back. I adored Honeydukes, never being disappointed in the sweets it had to offer.

This time, I paid for Oliver. He picked out a few chocolate frogs and jelly slugs while I left holding salt water taffy and treacle fudge.

As we meandered back, I took the time to enjoy the scenery since focusing on the silence would be too uncomfortable. There was no snow yet, but the beautiful, trademark autumn-ness was evident. Leaves were scattered in all shades of gold and red, littering the floor in a wonderful display. There was a satisfying crunch every time you took a step. It all reminded me of why autumn was my favourite season.

"I certainly had a lovely time," Oliver said once we arrived at Hogwarts. "If you're here over the Christmas holiday, maybe we could go again."

It was cold, so if he remarked upon my red cheeks I would blame it on that. "I am, actually. And that would be great. So, I'll see you around?" My sentence sounded more hopeful than I intended.

"I hope so," he replied. "Goodbye."

"See you," I said, waving as I turned away.