Chapter 1

"I saw that."

Sayoko jumped at the voice. "S-saw what?" She turned and realized it was Maes Hughes.

"You can't hide it from me Sayoko. I saw you looking at Fullmetal." He laughed and pushed his glasses up.

"No I wasn't!" Sayoko exclaimed, heat rushing to her face. She glance over at the blonde alchemist who was talking to Mustang. Edward looked over at Hughes and Sayoko for a moment. Sayoko hid behind Maes out of embarrassment while he waved.

"Go say hello." Maes urged.

"I can't." Sayoko looked down. She pushed back some hair that became loose from her pony tail and sighed. "I'm afraid."

"He's just a kid like you. It's not like he's going to kill you for saying 'hi'." Maes patted her back. "He's almost done talking to Roy," Sayoko straightened up and looked over at Edward again. He was shouting at Mustang.

"DON'T CALL ME SHORT YOU BASTARD!" Edward hollared and punched the air.

Sayoko giggled. His temper was as short as he was. It's pretty amusing to watch him blow up on his superiors, especially Mustang. Roy merely shook his head and walked away. He said something Sayoko couldn't catch before he exited the room. Edward muttered darkly and ploped down on a nearby couch.

"C'mon." Maes pushed Sayoko forward and walked over to the blonde alchemist. "Hello Edward!" He greeted.

"Hey." Edward nodded. His golden eyes fixed upon Sayoko. "Who's your friend?"

"This is Sayoko Kawate, the Crystal Alchemist." Maes pushed Sayoko forward again. Sayoko waved meekly and smiled.

"Hi."

Edward smiled. "You're pretty young to be a State Alchemist."

"Yeah, I'm 14." Sayoko dipped her head to hide her reddening face.

"Even younger than you Ed." Maes added. "Still, she's 3 inches taller than you-"

Edward growled. "I'm not short. It's not my fault everyone here is a giant..."

Sayoko laughed again. "It's ok. I had a growth spurt this year. When I was 13 I was shorter than you."

"Good." he smiled.

"Well," Maes whistled and stepped back. "I'll leave you two to get acquainted..."

"Ok." Edward said.

"Wait, wha-" Sayoko stammered.

"Bye!" And with that Maes dissapeared behind the door and left the two teens alone.

Sayoko sat on the couch adjacent from Edward's and bit her lip. She looked around and slowly kicked her legs back and forth. She glanced at him from time to time but she didn't want to seem creepy. But, it was hard not to. Blonde hair and golden eyes. An automail arm and leg. For some reason everything about him seemed perfect... Edward looked straight at her and tilted his head to the side. He caught her stareing.She jumped a little and looked away.

"So," Edward broke the silence. "Why did you decide to become a dog?"

"Oh, um well-"

Suddenly, a few men burst through the doors, interupting Sayoko. An armoured man followed.

"Alphonse? What's up?" Edward asked.

"Nothing Brother. They just wanted to make an entrance." Alphonse said. "Who's this?"

"This," Edward pointed to Shea. "Is Sayoko,the Crystal Alchemist."

"Hello." Sayoko smiled and waved at the suit of armour. He waved back and joined Edward on the couch.