Rhaenys

Of all things in the world, Rhaenys loved to fly. She loved the gust of wind that hit her, threatening to throw her off as Meraxes soared higher into the clouds. Both her elder siblings were as much capable dragon riders as her but they only rode to travel great distances. But Rhaenys rode for delight. She and Meraxes were connected in heart. Even in the stormiest night they would fly into the sky relishing the taste of freedom.

Under her spread the land of Andals. Sparsely populated scattered over the vast area, much of which is covered with deep forests. Deers galloped over the grasslands as Meraxes roared above. The towns were growing each moon, with new buildings, granaries and timbered inns. Each time she flew above them, the small folk would hide in their wood and mud houses and peak out. Sometimes Rhaenys dismounted and talked to the naked and dirt covered children. They were apprehensive to go near a stranger with a fully grown dragon. But Rhaenys always managed to get past their walls. She would carry sweets and wooden horses for them. Their clatter would make her forget her empty bosom.

Rhaenys wanted children, to gave her beloved an heir, to see his face light up as he picks up his son. But it was not to be. Three years into marriage and neither of the sisters could give him a son. People whispered behind them. It didn't seem to bother her elder sister who found every solution to be taking off head but it cut her skin every time she hears 'barren woman'.

She returned to the grim structure of Dragonstone by sun down astride Meraxes.

The black dot on the cliff appeared to be a human as Meraxes soared lower.

"Go on" She whispered to the majestic beast. The last rays of sun still glinted off it's ivory skin. The dragon purred at her words and spread its leathery wings and took off. Looking back, she saw the said person, a young lad crouched on the ground, face hidden behind his hands.

"It's alright" She assured soothingly pulling him to his feet. "You'll get used to it. Once they know you, you'll know how beautiful they are. And intelligent, more than most men, I dare say."

The lad still trembled and Rhaenys took an intimidate pity on him. "Come on." She urged heading back to the castle.

"A raven came, my lady," He informed when he had at last composed himself. "Arrived this morning from Oldtown. From your sister."

Her heart ached at his words. She had hoped it had been sent by Aegon. It was almost a month since they had left for Oldtown. The only raven that came was from the Redwynes informing her of their safe arrival.

At the throne-room, they were met by Maester. He handed her a small scroll which she unfurled.

"Dearest sister,

I hope this letter finds you in good health. As you know, we have reached the Arbor a fortnight ago and we had traveled thoroughly through the reach. The books in the Citadel, oh sister, I wish I could show in person. There are ancient epics written in oldest scrolls and most puzzling accounts in them. Most of them are gossips of fishwives I believe, but still fascinating.

Aegon is in good health, I assure you. We went hawking two days ago and he had no lack of entertainment."

Of course not, she thought darkly.

"However, a situation has arisen that must be addressed with haste. I cannot explain much as this letter will not allow it but you must know, Aegon is riding to Dragonstone. He'll be landing a day after this reaches you.

Take care of Vhagar for me. I dream of him crying alone in the sky.

Yours, Visenya."

Soon, by next morrow, all three dragons screamed in unison announcing the arrival of Lord of Dragonstone

Soon, by next morrow, all three dragons screamed in unison announcing the arrival of Lord of Dragonstone. The ship reached the dock and Aegon landed with some fifteen men. Visenya must have only few guards with her.

Aegon's had grown a beard while being away. Rhaenys could see lines of worry etched in his smooth skin. Her heart lurched in wild speculation.

When he neared the great iron gates of Dragonstone, Rhaenys stepped forth towards her husband.

"My lady." His greeting was music to her ear. How she had missed it. She cupped his face in both hands and pulled him to a kiss. It was soft and chaste. Rhaenys could smell the salty odor and his bristly beard grazed her cheeks. She had wanted to deepen there kiss but Aegon pulled away and asked to be led. Rhaenys concealed her hurt knowing he must have grave tidings and took them inside.

After lunching and warming up by fireside, Aegon proceeded to his chamber followed by Rhaenys.

The air was warm and heavy inside. Much preferable to the sharp rush of northern wind that howled through the stone castle. Aegon stripped off cloak and robes while Rhaenys locked the door. It was unnecessary for they were man and wife and also nobody dared to venture this way knowing they will be here.

Aegon untied his breeches and sat on the edge of the bed. Golden light from the hearth cast shadows on his sharp features. Rhaenys unfastened her own cloaked and approached her husband.

She knelt in front of him and took his icy hands in her own. "What is it, my love?"

In reply, Aegon shook his head gravely. "I have to leave for Volantis in two days." He told her. "The Archon had sent me another messenger and I couldn't neglect this anymore. Also our trade is dwindling as Essos bleeds internally."

Rhaenys had known her husband fairly, better than anyone. "That is not why you decided this suddenly." She remarked.

Aegon broke into a soft smile and nodded.

"Tell me." She said soothingly. Aegon obliged and pulled her up and made her sit beside him.

With a heavy sigh he began, "You don't really understand pain until you have witnessed it. Even if you are not feeling it, it eats you. I met a man, Rhaenys. Old, gaunt and rotting in pig shit. He came from Volantis with no money; his house was put to torch, and his daughter, raped and abducted. His wife too."

"How terrible." Rhaenys whispered.

"Then I met another in Oldtown. A young girl, no more than eight lying on the docks. Silver hair like yours, Lysene. Raped and slashed open. Came as slave from Tyroshi ship. The usual fate of a refugee."

Only the crackling of flames were heard in otherwise silent room.

Rhaenys broke the calm first. "The Storm King, Argilac had led his host to the Disputed lands."

"I've heard. He is a cunning man, he is. Always had eyes for spoils of war." He muttered. "Orys will depart tomorrow with our vassal. I'll follow him on Balerion"

"You are not taking me with you." Rhaenys said anxiously. "At least take Visenya."

Her husband kissed her cheeks and said, "Visenya is needed in south and you are needed here."

"What if you do not return? How shall I live then?"

"I will." He assured.

"You'll be leaving so soon." Rhaenys lamented.

"I am here now. I needed to see you." He whispered crashing their lips together.

"Have you started your moonblood?" He asked as he pulled her closer.

"It is due, my love. If the Gods are kind, I can give you a son tonight."

Aegon fumbled with her robes and tore them off impatiently. As soon as she was free from them, she lunged on him.

She had missed his smell. Rhaenys took on his aroma and without preamble, took him inside her.

The sound of their pleasure echoed off the stone walls as they made sweet, violent love.

When they were spent, Rhaenys laid in her brother's arm; Aegon carded through her hair.

"How is Visenya in bed?" She had been burning to know how her enigmatic sister really was. Aegon never answered anything about her and he remained silent.

"Does she use one of those poisons in vial?"

Aegon faced her sternly. "I see know reason why it should bother you."

"I just want to know." She remarked lightly.

"She is my wife. That is all you need to know."