Chapter Three: These Dreams

Start from the beginning

Sure, love existed, but not in the way people wanted it to. People expect too much perfection with love, and when it's not, it fails.

Katherine expected a perfect love with Maya's father, and it failed. So Maya decided that she would not search for love or yearn for it. She would simply float around the spectrum of the universe called "romantic vagabond."

Maya would simply wander around, not ever really having a serious and romantic relationship. Romance wasn't for her, so she would choose to never settle into the heart of anyone and call it home.

That was the thing about homes: they weren't stable.

And at any given moment, that home could close its doors on her.

So being a romantic vagabond made it easier for Maya to never feel like she lost anything. It was better to have nothing than to have everything and lose it. It was the safe option--the easier option. And Maya would never risk it.

For anyone.

Elizabeth ripped the check from her checkbook and handed it to Maya. "After your first day at your internship, I expect you to come for dinner. Norah will be coming to visit next week." she smiled.

For once in Elizabeth's household, Maya grinned at the news. "Aunt Norah's coming?!" she said excitedly.

Her grandma nodded. "Yes, Norah's coming. I would invite your mother, but she's always working that embarrassing job of hers."

Maya furrowed her eyebrows. "It's not embarrassing. It's honorable."

Elizabeth rolled her eyes. "What could be honorable about scrubbing toilets and washing bed sheets? Nothing! A doctor or a lawyer is an honorable job."

"My mother and many others perform the jobs no one else would be caught dead doing." Maya retorted. "She works hard to put food on the table and she maintains a clean environment. She may not be a doctor or a lawyer, but she's providing for me some way. And I will always be thankful for that."

Elizabeth stared at Maya, surprised the girl even talked back at her. "Well," she pursed her lips. "Just remember who also provides for you." She motioned to the signed check and Maya held back from rolling her eyes as her grandmother walked her to the door. "Be careful on the way back—and never let go of that check! God knows there are thugs around waiting to snatch up money." She scoffed.

Maya nodded. "Yeah, okay." She mumbled.

"Mumbling!" Elizabeth exclaimed, a stern look on her face.

"Bye, grandma." Maya enunciated her last word, a slight smirk on her face as her grandmother tried to maintain her calm demeanor.

"Goodbye, Maya." Elizabeth shut the door and Maya let out the sigh she didn't even know she was holding back.

To say Maya willingly came to see her grandmother would be a lie. She dreaded the days she came to visit, but it would help alleviate the amount of bills her mother had to pay.

Maya walked down to the lobby, making sure to not take the elevator for two reasons.

1. Maya did not want to be stuck in an elevator.

2. Maya did not want to be stuck in an elevator again with Riley.

The few minutes she spent with that delusional and hopeless romantic were intolerable for her. Maya could bet on her life that Riley never experienced a day of pain, suffering, or anxiety—never. Instead, Riley floated in a spectrum of the universe called "romantic junkie."