She walked up behind Ryan, wrapping her arms around him and kissing the back of his neck.

Startled, Ryan jumped, his head jerking back, almost hitting Julie in the face.

“Are you alright?” she asked, trying to stifle laughter. “How did you not know I was home?”

Embarrassed, Ryan tried to shrug it off, but ended up conceding a smile. “I was finishing a new story. Want to give it a read for me?”

“Sure, but let me take Buster out. Then I’ll read it,” Julie said. She walked back to the foyer and wrestled Buster into his harness. “We also have tea, you know,” she said as she opened the front door. “You’re too jumpy.”

When she returned, Ryan handed Julie a copy of the story and sat on a nearby chair.

“Don’t,” she said.

“What?”

“Don’t stare. Let me read in peace.”

Ryan stood up and walked a few paces away. He chewed his lip again as he watched her flip to the second page.

“Seriously. Do you want me to read this thing? Stop pacing.”

Ryan looked up and around the room, unaware he had been pacing. He walked to the second bedroom, Buster at his heels. Ryan found one of Buster’s tennis balls under a chair and pulled it out, showing it to Buster. “Wanna play, Buddy?”

Buster ran up to Ryan and sat down, staring at the ball. Ryan tossed it and they played fetch. They made it a couple rounds before Buster stopped halfway back to Ryan, letting the ball fall from his mouth.

“C’mon, Buster, bring me the ball,” Ryan said, slapping his thighs. “C’mon Buster.”

Buster remained frozen in the middle of the room.

“Lazy dog. Tired already? Or do you see another gho--,” Ryan said, stopping when he remembered the morning shower. As he did, Buster turned to the window, dropped low to the ground, and growled. Ryan followed Buster’s eyes and turned to look towards the bedroom window.

In one corner, Ryan saw his reflection. And in the other corner, Ryan saw a face, staring back at Buster. The figure was bald, and its skin was pale, but glowing like a paper lantern. The figure turned its large eyes to Ryan. The figure’s thin-lipped mouth smiled, before it ducked below the windowsill. Ryan turned and ran from the bedroom, running into Julie.

“This is great,” she said.

“What?”

“Your story. This might be the best thing you’ve written,” Julie said, leaning in to kiss Ryan, but he did not return the kiss. “What’s with you? You’ve been in a weird mood ever since I got home. You don’t look good either. Are you sick? You feel clammy.”

“No, I’m not sick. I don’t know,” Ryan said. “It’s been a weird day. I’ve been writing nonstop, and I think I fried my brain a little. But you like it?”

“Yeah,” she said. Julie grabbed his hand and led Ryan to their bedroom. “Come on. Let’s celebrate your new story. I bet I can make you feel better.”

When they finished celebrating, Julie asked, “Feel better?”

“Yes,” Ryan said while he yawned.

Julie chuckled softly as she wrapped him arm around her. “Good night. Sleep well.”

“You too,” he said. And although all was dark and quiet, sleep did not come. Ryan kept recalling the figure he saw earlier. Despite his fears, Julie’s breathing soon lulled him to sleep.