Chapter 1

Chapter 1

  Elaeda's red curls shook as her carraige trundled off yet another bump in the road. She sighed in exasperation and brushed the stray hairs off of her smooth forehead. For her country, she reminded herself. For her father.

  What about yourself? A small voice in the back of her mind asked. Elaeda pushed the voice away. For her father.

  "Are you alright, your highness?"

Goderva had been her mothers maid before hers. She was a elderly woman with deep grey eyes and silvery hair, but Elaeda and her father had more than once commented on how she would probably outlive them all.

  "I'm fine Goderva. Just... thinking."

Goderva raised an eyebrow.

"Don't lie to me, child. You have never had much talent at it."

Elaeda just looked out the window. For her father.

  Goderva sighed.

"Very well child. Just remember that I cannot help you when I do not know that which ails you."

Well at least she wasnt too obvious. Elaeda had been worried that Goderva would guess the reason.  I am the heir, she reminded herself. This is the best thing for Amaes.

But by Gorgath, she didn't want to.

        The carriage came to a stop. Elaeda frowned. They were still in the Mirth Forest, and had many miles to go before they reached their destination. Sounds of movement could be heard from outside. Elaeda closed her eyes and tilted her head back. When would the bad luck end?

"The king sat down beside his daughter on her bed. Elaeda felt uncomfortable. She couldn't remember the last time her father had requested a private talk with her. The man placed a hand on the girls shoulder. "Elaeda. My beautiful girl. You look so much like your mother." Elaeda smiled and touched her fathers knee. "I know father. What is this about?" The king ignored her and stood up. He folded his hands behind his back and strode to the window. "They took her from me. My lovely Meran. Those warlocks destroyed everything I loved in this world. And then you came along. A daughter. Better than that. A heir. You became my world." Her father turned from the window. " I love you Elaeda. And I trust you more than anyone. Which is why I chose you to serve our nation. To save Amaes."

   Elaeda was startled by a shout from outside. An armored guard rode past her window, his sword in hand.

"Goderva, I think there is something going on outside." Elaeda said nervously.

  Goderva slowly opened the door to the carriage and poked her head out into the midday sun.

  Wham!

Goderva's body was yanked from the carriage, leaving Elaeda alone in the small space. She  screamed, and a shadow stepped in front of the door. Elaeda felt something grab the neck of her dress, and she was ripped from the carriage and thrown onto the cold cobblestones.

A hideous face loomed over her, with yellow, crooked teeth  and wild, frizzy hair. Crazy, electric blue eyes were dancing in their sockets. Elaeda screamed again and the face laughed, a horrible,cackling sound and spraying her with brown spittle.

"Oo, this ones pretty!" The face giggled and a finger reached down to stroke Elaeda's cheek.

In response, the princess lifted her small hand and cracked it across the mans face with all the force she could muster.

The man howled in pain, and stepped back from Elaeda.

  "You cow!" The ugly man clenched his fists and raised his hand, ready to strike.

"Enough."

The man stepped back with a growl and spat on the bloody dirt. Elaeda sniffed and got to her feet. The big man who had spoken stepped forward, and Elaeda's heart skipped a beat.

  Standing in front of her was a huge man with a thick, dark beard and fierce eyes. He held Goderva by the throat in one hand, her toes barely touching the ground, and a huge, double edged axe in the other.

Elaeda stepped backwards in fear. The man looked her up and down and nodded.

"This one, we keep." The mans voice was deep and growly. " She has nice skin and pretty eyes."

  Elaeda slowly processed what the man was saying. She looked around frantically.Where was the royal guard!

Then she noticed the blood. It was everywhere, on the road, on her dress, all over the men behind the one who held Goderva.

Her face white in horror, Elaeda slowly shook her head. This couldnt be happening.

The man nodded again. "The old one however..." He squeezed Goderva's neck. There was a loud crack, like a branch snapping, and the old lady went limp.

"NO!"

Elaeda screamed. Goderva couldnt be dead. She couldnt be all alone.

" I am the crown princess of Amaes!" She shouted. "Release my hand maiden and let us go at once!"

The man let go of Goderva, and the woman fell to the ground.

"The princess? Well well. If that doesnt just go and change everything."

The man made a mock bow.  When he straightened, he waved his hand and two large men grapped Elaeda by the arms.

"Take her to camp." The man ordered. "No one is to have her until I arrive."

Elaeda struggled, but it was no use.

"What about Goderva!" She asked desperately.

  The man with the axe laughed. "Why, shes dead as a doornail! See!" The man chopped down at Godervas neck. Elaeda watched in horror as he lifted her saggy head, her silver hair matted with blood.

"No! No!...."

Elaeda screamed as they carried her away