I Married A Marine

I shut the car door and the window opened, I rolled my eyes,

            “Aria, don’t forget, the whole house, sparkling.”        

            “Yes ma’am.” I can’t be rude to these bitches because they pay for my Pennsylvania State college and I live with them. All I have to do is look after their nasty little bitch kids and clean their house daily.

            “And dinner, no meat because Damon doesn’t like it, and try and be creative.”

            “Yes ma’am, I’ve got everything under control.” She smiled,

            “That’s what I like to hear sweetheart.”

I did everything they asked, I always do, and after I got the kids in bed, Mr and Mrs.Beale got back with their son Damon, who had just gotten back from being deployed.

            “Mom, since when do you hire housekeep?”

            “Since I felt like taking her in, besides, she’s good with the boys and her foods good.”

            “You made her a charity project didn’t you?” Ouch,

            “No of course not.” I forked the food on his plate,

            “Thanks.”

            “She’s housekeep Damon, she gets paid to do this you don’t have to give her gratitude for doing her job.”

Damon was sitting on the counter eating ice cream talking to his father, I was cleaning up the dishes. The frying pan slipped out of my hand and landed on the floor with a loud clang, Damon had jumped off the counter and Mrs. Beale came in, I picked it up and put it back in the sink.

            “I’m sorry, I’m so sorry, it slipped, the bubbles, the soap.” She smacked me so hard I lost my balance and fell hitting my head on the counter and falling to a slump on the floor.

            “You stupid idiot! Why do you never do anything right!” She had  kicked me in the side once but Damon yelled,

            “MOM!” This stopped her from her rage, “She’s a person, it was an accident!”

            “Come on Lila.” Mr. Beale had said, my head was spinning, I wasn’t sure if Damon left too. I made a move but his firm hands pressed on my shoulders and then he put a hand under my chin turning my head to see the wound.

            “I’m fine.” I muttered,

            “It’s just going to hurt in the morning, how’s your side?” I gasped when I realized how bad it hurt,

            “Fine.” I opened my eyes and his face was so close to mine it took me aback, he helped me up.

            “I’ll finish the dishes.”

            “No, I’ll”

            “You can’t even stand straight, wait, I think you need stiches your forehead is bleeding.” He picked me up and sat me on the counter leaned against the fridge. My side really was in immense pain, every time I moved it just hurt more and more. Damon left me sitting there and came back with his father,

            “Well I guess we have to take her to the hospital, now don’t we?”

            “I’ll take her, I need to get out anyway.”

            “Tell them she fell down some stairs, do you hear Aria, you slipped on stairs.”

            “Yes sir, stairs.” I didn’t even feel like I was talking. Damon took me to the car, I could hear him talking to me but I didn’t hear a word he said. It all sounded so far away.

I woke up panicked, where was I? Someone took my hand and I looked at them, it all came back slowly,

            “Hey Aria. You feeling okay?” I tried to sit up but it took my breath away, “Hey, hey, lay back down.” Well there isn’t any way I’m getting up,       “I don’t think I’ve properly introduced myself. I’m Damon.”

            “I know.” He shrugged,

            “I told the doctors the truth, you didn’t fall down stairs, and you don’t deserve to be kicked like that.”

            “What!? Why?”

            “What’s wrong?”

            “They were paying for me to go to college.”

            “I know, Dad told me.”

            “Do you not like me? Is that why you did that?” he leaned really close to me,

            “I like you a lot actually, and you don’t deserve that.”

            “Now what am I going to do?”

            “My family is going to pay your hospital bills, and then I guess I owe it to you to pay for your college.”

            “How are you going to do that?”

            “Marry you, you silly woman.’