Rhose's Special: Part 3

Start from the beginning

The little baby cooed adorably, and toyed with his mother’s hair.

Forcing a smile on her face to hide the turmoil that was just under the surface she said, “It’s wonderful to meet you, I’ll call the kids in so we can all become properly introduced.”

____________________________________________________________

“Are you an idiot?”

Rhose looked at Kat with no little surprise, since when did she talk to him like that? She had always spoken to him with the utmost respect. “What?”

With Sarina sleeping soundly on the cot in the corner of the hut, Kat put her hands on her hips, the very image of female consternation. “She likes you idiot. If she just wanted the kids, why didn’t she just call them?”

“I don’t understand.”

Kat through her hands up, “Of course you don’t. Listen, whenever a woman sees the man she likes with another girl, she will get upset, and go off by herself. Where is Navie now?”

Realization hit him, “By herself.”

“Exactly. Now go get her.” Kat pushed him towards the door.

Rhose refused to budge, “I can’t do that gattino, I can’t have feelings for a human, I’m a-”

“Demon of the apocalypse, a Rider that will bring about the end of the world, an idiot that refuses to see what he has in front of him.” Her blue eyes flashed with anger, “Listen, Sebastian is a demon and I’m human….well mostly, but that’s not the point. If you can feel happiness, sadness, anger, or loss, you can love someone. It doesn’t matter what you are or where you come from or what will happen in the future.”

Gattino…”

“Do you want to end the world?” Rhose shook his head vehemently. “Then don’t, you are a sentient being with a soul of your own, no one can write your destiny for you, only you can make it. Now go make it with her.”

Rhose paused, caught between the intense desire to go and do what he wanted and the voice in his head telling him what was practical, it was true that during these last few weeks that each of the children had found a special place in his heart, and especially their proud caretaker, but... He blinked, there are no buts…everything that Gattino has spoken of is true, and that’s what I was worrying over…I think…I hope…

Placing a grateful kiss on Kat’s forehead he rushed through the door, “Thank you gattino.”

_____________________________________________________________

The birds chortled their songs, sweet trills and tweets sung to their mates and young that roosted in the boughs of the ancient trees that surrounded Navie as she walked through the woods, not really paying attention.

How could I be so silly? Of course someone like him has a wife, how could he not? She berated herself mentally, angry at herself, at Rhose for not telling her, and at the world in general. She hated to be made a fool of and when she had seen the woman with Rhose, it had been like a punch in the gut. It was like saying that she wasn’t meant to have a happily ever after, that every man she came to…like, she refused to admit she loved him, had someone else that was more important than her.

She didn’t want to be greedy, but she really didn’t think it was too much to ask to be the sparkle in the eyes of the man she loved. To be the one, the only one, that belonged to him.