Rhose's Special: Part 1

Start from the beginning

This is wonderful, simply wonderful…I volunteer for a job and I cannot finish it because I have no experience…how humiliating.

He grunted when a solid body slammed into him, knocking the list from his hands. “Watch where you are going, amico mio, there are other people walking today.” He steadied the young woman who had just run into him.

Without meeting his gaze she pushed passed him trampling the list into the ever present London street side muck.

He stated down at the list for a moment, a forlorn look on his face when yet another person shoved him from behind. Biting back a curse he threw a punch that landed solidly on the jaw of the man who had dared to touch him. A woman was one thing, but a man shoving him was an invitation to a fight.

The man flew backwards into the scattering crowd, a thin stream of blood running down his chin. “What do you think you are doing, man? That little thief is getting away!” He spat a wad of blood onto Rhose’s shoes. “Idiot, she’s getting away with my goods!”

Rhose pinned the man against the wall with one hand when he rose and tried to run after the girl, his eyes narrowed as his grip tightened, “Let me get one thing clear. I am not your friend; I do not care about your goods. I do care that you seem to think that it is permissible for you to shove me and get away with it.”

The man choked and tried to pry Rhose’s fingers from his throat. There was a soft murmur that from the crowd, making Rhose realize that he had an audience. He dropped the man to the ground and turned on his heel in the opposite direction.

Apocolyptian Demon of Death he was, center of attention…he didn’t like to be.

______________________________________________________________________________

Rhose readjusted the large box in his arms to a more comfortable position as he trudged home. Thankful that one of the humans that ran the shop he had last visited had taken pity on him and given him a wooden box to put it all in.

He wasn’t sure if he had everything, since he had lost the list. If he didn’t though he had made sure to get everything sounded familiar.

Somewhere in the distance a wolf pack howled.

It must be nice to have such large families… After he had taken Kat in his life had changed drastically, there was then two mouths to feed, a slower pace to be made to compensate for her shorter legs and lack of endurance, and then finally the protective spirit that seemed to invade the very fiber of his being every time she was threatened.

It had nearly undone him the first time she had come to him in tears because another child had thrown a rock at her.

All those feelings he still had today, he envied the wolves for their large families. The kind of feeling it must be to never be alone…I wonder what that’s like…

There was a scream closely followed by another round of howls from the wolves.

Without thinking Rhose dropped the box and raced towards the sound, his inhuman speed quickly carrying him over the fallen trees and treacherous bogs that lay hidden in the seemingly harmless ground. This time when the wolves howled the sound was closer as his feet carried him over the ground in fleet strides.

He broke through a dense bush of briars, scratching any exposed skin and shredding his clothes, to find the girl from earlier treed by the howling canines. With a feral growl he scattered the entire lot, their tails tucked between their legs as they ran.

Irritated that he had had to frighten the animals he respected he turned to give the girl a piece of his mind when a small fist nicked his jaw. He looked down with mild amusement at the girl who swore a stream of profanities that would make a sailor blush scarlet.