"I suppose you're right then..." The red-head sighed, "I really don't understand the hype around Black."

Belle felt her face flame up just at the thought of Sirius, and she quickly ducked her head. This crush was turning her into a love-sick puppy, something Belle never thought she'd become. She was a hopeless romantic, sure, but not someone who followed around a boy just to gain his attention. Now, she felt the need to do almost anything to gain just a sliver of his attention.

"I agree, he treats them horribly..." Remus shook his head, shooting an awkward smile to Madam Rosmerta who had returned with their drinks. "I wonder what they see in him."

Belle quickly took a swig of her drink, enjoying the taste but feeling completely uncomfortable with the conversation. Lily, who knew of the girls' crush, decided to completely ruin Belle's life in that moment.

"What do you see in him, Belle?" Lily smirked, taking a simple sip of her drink. Belle coughed on her butterbeer as Remus's incredulous eyes turned on her.

"You like Sirius?!" He exclaimed, eyebrows nearly touching his hairline. Belle's face flushed and suddenly the previously comfortable pub got suffocatingly warm. 

"I-I- I don't really-"

"Oh come off it, Belle!" Lily grinned, "Don't lie to Remus!"

"Yea, don't lie to me! How can you like Sirius!" Remus looked between the two girls, not entirely believing what he was hearing. He was almost certain Eileen and Rosaline liked Sirius, mostly because they often fought for his attention, but not Belle. Belle had never been like all the other crazed girls and he believed it was because Sirius was not her type, but apparently he was very wrong. Belle didn't meet either of her friend's eyes as she spoke.

"He's cute, I guess..." She stuttered, chewing on her cheek. "I don't know, it's probably just because everyone else likes him- you won't tell him, right?" 

Remus shook his head, the grin on his face not entirely fooling Belle.

"I won't tell him, but if you like him then I can try to put in a good word?"

"Put in a good word?" Lily giggled, "What, is she going to an interview?"

"You know what I mean!" Remus sighed, his eyes drifting away from the table and scanning the room. Lily followed his gaze and soon Belle did as well. All of their eyes caught onto the same table near the back of the room, covered slightly by a tall plant.

The table held two boys around their age, hunched over and whispering to each other. They too had butterbeer next to them but it sat forgotten and ignored by the two secretive boys. One she immediately recognized as Serverus Snape, a friend of Lily's and an odd boy in their year. His thick, greasy hair fell over his eyes that were still glaring, the only emotion she'd ever see the boy use. The other boy she knew as Max Gaston, someone she'd never really talked too yet always knew about from the disgusting things he had said to many of the muggle-borns in school. She, like many other people, didn't like either of the two very much but put up with Snape for Lily's sake. Said-girl sighed, looking down into her drink.

"He's been distant lately..."

Belle squeezed the girl's arm, shooting Remus a look as to tread lightly on his words.

"He's probably just moody right now—most boys are." She smiled softly.

"Hey—"

"Anyways," She teased Remus, "Until he comes to his senses and stops being an idiot, you can always hang with us."

"I know—" She begun, though her words were cut off by Snape who stood up abruptly and knocked over his drink, storming from the pub. Lily eyed the boy before turning to her friends.

"I'm gonna go after him." She blurted.

"Li—"

"No, I need to. I need to see why he's not talking to me and what that was all about. He'll talk, I know it!"

And with that, Lily Evans had followed the boy out, coat in hand and determination on her face.

"I really hope she stops hanging out with Serverus—he's not good for her." Remus sighed, "He's gonna hurt her one day."

Belle nodded. She had been thinking this way for a while about Snape and had been hoping the two would just naturally fall out. But every time something happens between the two, Lily apologizes first and they become friends again, even if it wasn't Lily's fault. She had explained to Belle numerous times of the her friendship with the boy before Hogwarts and how she felt loyal to him. In Belle's mind, that loyalty was one sided and Snape was going to break her one day, leaving Belle and the rest of the group to pick up the pieces.

"I know—she just keeps going back to him! I've tried to tell her but she is adamant on keeping Snape from going dark."

"Going dark?"

Belle chewed on the inside of her cheek as she leaned forward, making Remus duck his head as well. Lily had confided in her what she had witnessed, and Belle wasn't sure if telling Remus was the best option, but he needed to know.

"Lily followed him the other day, " She whispered. "And she heard him talking to Roulle in an empty hallway."

"Aiden, the Ravenclaw?"

"No—his brother Rylen, who's in Slytherin. They were talking about the dark arts, Remus. She heard them talking about dark magic and yet she still goes back to him!"

Remus scrunched his face, swishing around some of his leftover drink. "Poor Lily, she's going to be heartbroken when he leaves her."

"I know. For her sake, I hope we're very, very wrong." She sighed.

Both of the teens were quiet for a moment as they thought everything over.

"Well that was depressing!" Remus grinned, "Why don't we visit the bookstore around the corner?"

"There's a bookstore?!"

-- -- -- -- --

Remus didn't know why he was disappointed that she liked Sirius. They were both his good friends, and if they ended up together, he should be happy, right? He tried to be happy at the way Belle blushed whenever he spoke Sirius's name or whenever Lily teased her, but something inside of him felt completely lost. Belle was his best-friend, he shouldn't be feeling  jealous over her. It wasn't that he liked her...right?

He didn't like Belle, right?