6

Tara was awoken by the smell of burning sticks, dirt, and leaves. She noticed her head was on Aaden’s bundled up white jacket. She sat up and rubbed her eyes carefully so that she wouldn’t get any of the Earth’s minerals in them. Tara looked around worriedly.

“Where’s Carles?”

She whispered to Aaden who was poking at the fire with a long branch. She looked up at Tara and pointed a thumb over her shoulder.

“Getting some water from the lake. She’s trying to catch some fish too. Wanna go help her?”

She asked and Tara nodded as she stood. She grabbed Aaden’s jacket and brushed it off before handing it to Aaden who gratefully took it, folded it, and stuck it into the bag she retrieved from the tent. The girls were walking towards the lake when they heard a piercing scream and began to run. Aaden knew Carlie’s voice anyhow and anywhere, it was her.

“Carles?!”

Aaden shouted as she and Tara approached the streaming blue water. Tara saw Carlie’s brown hair in the dirt and tugged at Aaden’s arm.

“Over there!”

Aaden ran over to Carlie and looked her over. Her shirt was ripped and there was blood covering the tear.

“Oh my God.”

She whispered as she carefully lifted Carlie’s shirt to reveal a stab wound. Tara knelt behind Aaden and covered her mouth with her hand. Aaden began tearing the extra sweater she had on in order to make a bandage to stop the blood flow.

“Tara come here!”

She shouted as she tore off another piece to make a cloth. Tara scooted forward beside Aaden to help all she could. Aaden put the cloth on the wound on Carlie's stomach and put a bit of pressure onto it.

“Do you see how I am doing this Tara?”

“Yes.”

“I need you to do exactly what I am doing while I get water to clean this okay?”

Tara nodded and placed her hands exactly where Aaden's hands just were and put pressure. Aaden nodded and tore off yet another piece of her sweater. She submerged it into the water and pulled it out. Running back over to Carlie she nodded and Tara removed her hands with the cloth which was now covered in blood. Aaden squeezed water onto the cut and began gently wiping the excess blood away with the cloth. Once she was finished Tara carefully lifted Carlie to a seated position so that Aaden could wrap the homemade bandage around her stomach and knot it securely.

“Alright here get some water.”

Aaden spoke and handed Tara a cup. She scooped some water into the cup and slowly began pouring over Carlie’s face until she began to cough.

“Hey are you alright Carles?”

Tara asked calmly. Carlie groaned and put an arm over her stomach before opening her eyes.

“Yeah I am just peachy keen.”

She chuckled and Aaden brushed some hair away from her face.

“Who did this to you Carles?”

“Same girl who nearly caught Tara’s face yesterday. Can we call her Quickie?”

The girls laughed and Aaden helped her to her feet. Carlie was still able to walk fine but was in pain. It was only the beginning of the games and one of them was already injured. This was going to be harder than Aaden thought.

“Hey what’s wrong Aaden?”

Carlie asked noticing the way Aaden was looking at nothing. Aaden shook her head and sighed.