Chapter 13

I know it's  short one but i thought it was a great place to end a chapter.

I hope you enjoy it :)

love you all

GIVE ME FEEDBACK!!

_____________________________________________

Chapter 13

I pulled the reeds tight around my ankles and tucked them into the fur. Already I could feel the warmth forming at the arch of my feet. The feeling was almost a relief seeing as I hadn’t felt it for an extremely long time. Rubbing my arms to get rid of the goose bumps I walked faster. I really wish I could run but I didn’t have enough energy. The food we have eaten wasn’t enough to provide and I was shaking again. I half wanted to go back to the cave and stay there. At least it would have been warmer.

The woods were getting thicker and less of the sunlight was leaking through the canopy. Without the sun it was getting even colder and with it becoming late morning, I half wished there were no trees. The wind was almost murder. It stung my skin like a thousand knives that continued to puncture. My hair was littered with small fragments of ice which I occasionally had to shake out like sand.

The man looked similar to how I did. His blonde hair sparkled with the ice and stuck to his face. His tanned skin was turning pale because of the freezing cold and I was wondering if he was worse than I thought he was. If he was truly injured he could die before we reached the town. With my arms crossed and concentrating I studied his pace, his stance, his posture and his wound. The cloth still covered it but I could see a certain staining. It would need stitching but until we reached the town it would have to do.

“How are you feeling?”

“Cold.”

“Besides the obvious?”

“My side hurts a bit but its nothing I can’t handle.”

“You’re lying. It’s freezing out here and you’re sweating.”

“Then why did you ask?” he spat coldly.

I bumped shoulders with him and found his arm strangely warm. The slight touch was comforting and I found myself wanting to touch him again. “Because I’m worried. You were injured worse than I and I’m afraid you…”

“Are going to die. Don’t worry, I won’t.”

“We just need some more time, some more heat and we can get through this.”

“I think you’re worse than I. You’re shaking like a tree,” he chuckled. “Maybe we should find some shelter before we both get ill or…dead.”

“Maybe just for tonight. I believe it will get way below freezing at night and we will surely freeze.”

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Luckily, just as I was getting worried we found a hollowed out tree trunk, sheltered from the wind. I was grateful now that the forest was thickening, there was less of a breeze. WE both climbed in, only enough space for our bodies to be pressed up against each other. The situation was awkward but we were both so cold and exhausted I don’t think we cared.

A few hours ago we had eaten the last of the meat and our stomachs were full. I wasn’t able to make a fire to heat up some water, which was what my body was craving for. But at least I felt enough peace to sleep till the morning.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

It was almost too painful to wake up when we did. My body was so stiff it ached to shift and I was afraid I had made things worse by being in this situation. My eyes were almost glued shut and groggy. The man was sitting with his head back awkwardly and soft snores left his lips. He looked genuinely uncomfortable but in his state I don’t think he noticed.