"Like when my hair grew really fast, and when the bacon started to fly"

"Exactly. Well the same thing happened to me when I was about your age."

"I heard Uncle call you a freak. He calls me that as well." Snape's blood started to boil, his relatives were starting to get on Snape's last nerve.

"Harry you are not a freak. You are a wizard, so was your mother and father. What you were doing was not 'freakish' it was magic." Snape paused to give the chid a moment to digest the news.

"I'm not allowed to say that word. Uncle doesn't like it."

"Well your fat whale of an Uncle needs to sort out his priorities." Harry giggled at that and Snape turned to him as it was the first time the child had actually smiled since he'd met him. "Would you like me to show you your room." The boy stopped smiling at once and looked down at the floor. "Come with me." Snape said and he led the way upstairs.

Though the house was small it had three bedrooms, Snape had converted the smallest bedroom into a bathroom, as the only bathroom he had, had before hand was located outside in the yard. Snape had the biggest bedroom which he pointed out to Harry, to tell him not to go in there. He opened the door facing the stairs and led Harry inside.

The room was small, but quite spacious for Harry. The bed was under the window and its walls were painted a greyish blue. there was a chest of drawers on the far wall and a trunk on the opposite side. It also contained a bookshelf which was quite empty apart from a few old school textbooks, mainly about Potions.

"You mean I get my own room? I don't have to sleep under the stairs?" Snape held back the many rude words he wished to say and sighed.

"Yes Potter" Harry flinched. "Why are you scared of your name?" The boy looked as if he was about to cry again.

"My Uncle calls me that, he said the Potters were freaks like me."

"Harry I've told you before you are not a freak. And though I never met the Potters I'm sure they can't have been that bad." The Potions Master refrained himself from insulting the boy's father and merely stated. "Though your father and I didn't get along at school."

"Oh, I'm sorry about that." Snape could hardly believe his ears, and had come to the conclusion that the boy was more like his mother than his appearance had let on.

"Its quite alright, I shall remember next time to call you Harry. As you have no spare clothes with you, your Aunt seemed to have forgotten the basic necessities of a child's life, I will have to go and buy you some. Do you have any preference?"

"No sir." Snape nodded.

"I will be back shortly, make yourself comfortable." Harry nodded and sat gingerly on the bed, as if it was about to eat him if he sat in the wrong place. Snape left the room dramatically and walked down the stairs, Harry heard a crack, which sounded like a door, Harry thought so anyway.

Harry wondered who this man was, he had said he'd known his mother, and father, but why did he take him away from the Dursleys? Not that he was complaining. He also thought long and hard about what the man had said about his parent's death. That they had indeed not died in a car crash, but then how did they die? Harry thought back to his recurring dream the other night, a woman's scream and a flash of green light, maybe that had something to do with it.

Harry's head was buzzing quite a bit, from the pain of his Uncle's foot, and from the overloading thoughts that the small boy had, because of this he was growing very tired, so he lay down, on top of the covers and fell asleep. This was how Snape found him half an hour later and decided it would be best to leave him and slowly closed the door, after transferring his new clothes to his chest of drawers.

The man then went down to his living room and got himself a cup of coffee, he sat down and relaxed with a potions book on his lap, going over healing potions until he heard a scream from upstairs. At first it was faint and he thought he imagined it until it grew louder and he put his cup and book down and made his way up the stairs as fast as he could.

He flung open the door to Harry's room to see the boy thrashing about on the bed, his face contorted with fear. Snape rushed over to him and shook him in an attempt to wake him, however this did not work, so Snape pulled his wand out from his pocket.

"Aguamenti." He muttered and Harry woke up, completely soaked in water. Severus sat on the bed as Harry whiped his tears away and tried to catch his breath. After a moment he looked up at Snape, who had now pocketed his wand. "Are you alright?" He asked.

"Yeah I'm fine now, thanks for waking me up. I'm sorry I didn't mean to scream." Harry said solemnly. Snape shook his head.

"You have nothing to be sorry for. What happened, did you have a nightmare?" Harry nodded and shivered. Snape muttered another spell to dry him off, the boy looked at him with wide eyes.

"How did you do that?" He asked.

"Magic." Harry flinched again "Answer my question."

"Um.. yeah it was a nightmare." Harry shifted his gaze to the worn wooden floor.

"What was it about, if you don't mind me asking." Harry swallowed the lump in his throat, no one had ever asked him what his nightmares where about before, he didn't think anyone cared. Even so, he didn't know if he was comfortable talking about it. He flinched but then relaxed as he felt a hand on his shoulder. "You don't have to tell me, I understand." Snape told him.

"I was dreaming about the time my Aunt Marge came to tea, not long ago, she brought her dog with her. I don't like dogs that much. Anyway it chased me up the tree at the end of their garden, she didn't call it down until it was time for her to go. I just remember feeling really trapped like in my cupboard." Harry paused he could feel Snape's eyes on him and didn't know if he should continue, but the man didn't say anything and so he did. "Then the dream changed and I heard a woman screaming, I get this dream a lot, then I saw a green light and someone laughing. Then you woke me up." It was now Snape's turn to stare at the floor.

They both sat in silence for a while, this confused Harry as he couldn't read Snape's emotions or what he thought the dream meant. After a while Snape took his hand off of Harry's shoulder and turned to face him.

"Your Uncle and Aunt were extremely horrible people and you will never see them again, not if I can help it. I just hope you know that you're safe here and I wont ever treat you the way they treated you okay?"

"Okay" Harry replied, his voice only mildly less raspy than before. "I was just wondering, how exactly did my parents die?" He didn't want to be rude but he was extremely curious, Snape knew it was only normal for a boy his age and situation.

"There was a wizard, a dark wizard, who only believed in blood purity -"

"What's that?" Harry interrupted

"Don't interrupt me. Pure-blood families are wizards and witches without known muggles or muggle-borns on their family tree." Harry opened his mouth but before he could speak Snape carried on. "A muggle is someone who doesn't posses any magical powers of any kind, like your Uncle and Aunt. You are a half-blood, because your mother is muggle-born, they're quite rare but not as rare as a complete pure-blood family. I only know of two, The Malfoys and The Blacks. Sirius Black was, still is I think, your godfather."

"What happened to him?" Harry asked

"I'll get to that later. Anyway this dark wizard thought that anyone who was muggle-born should be killed, and some half-bloods too, though e was a half-blood himself, his mother was of a pure-blood family, his father, Tom Riddle, a muggle. She bewitched him under a love spell, and died during childbirth. The boy grew up into a bitter and angry man who used dark magic. He came to your house and" Snape sighed, not knowing if he could carry on.

"Its okay I can take it. He killed them didn't he, my parents." Snape nodded. "I'm sorry, my mum was your friend, you must be upset now." Snape beamed at the child.

"You must be tired." He stood up and retrieved some pyjamas for Harry setting them on the bed, giving Harry a weary smile. "Get changed and get some sleep." Harry nodded and Snape walked out of the room, shutting the door behind him.

He sighed and leant against the door, he too, was tired and walked straight to his own bedroom, forgetting all about his drink downstairs.