"Yes," Cassian said slowly.

Faith realised he was not familiar with that part of the law. "Somehow the news got back to the Pendletons because the servant was sent here with two messages. One: that George was on his deathbed. The other: that it is the legal right of the father to name the guardian for his child upon his death." Faith could still scarce believe that Lucy could have potentially been raised by John and Ruth and not her.

"What?" cried Cassian angrily. His body tensed and he attempted to raise his torso again, once more crying out in pain.

"Hush! No, stay resting. All is well," promised Faith. "George named John and Ruth as Lucy's guardians but I lied and sent back the message that Lucy was illegitimate, and that her father was a soldier I had once met." Faith was still fearful of the future repercussions of this decision, but she would just have to help Lucy however she could.

Cassian appeared quite confused. "Why did you not say that I was her father?"

"Why would I embroil you in scandal?" Faith asked Cassian plainly. She was already harming Lucy's future. How could she harm Cassian's when she did not have to?

"What do I care about scandal? I would rather it be known that Lucy has two parents who love each other than a nameless soldier being attached to the story." Cassian appeared to be quite annoyed with Faith.

Faith suddenly felt very foolish. Of course Cassian would not have minded if she had named him as the father. Faith pulled her hand from Cassian's in an attempt to give him a little space.

Cassian seized Faith's hand and refused to let her go. "Don't you dare," he said fiercely.

Faith nodded helplessly.

"You don't need to protect me, Faith," said Cassian, his tone much more tender. "It is I who should be protecting you."

Faith willed herself not to cry, but when she thought of the repercussions of her actions, she could not help but be upset. "But what about Lucy?" she asked sadly. "What have I done to her? How have I harmed her? I have all but signed away her future. She is illegitimate. She will be whispered about wherever we go. What sort of dowry would she need for a man to take her?" Faith did not like the idea of a man demanding inordinate sums of money to marry Lucy just because he was accepting the fact that she was illegitimate, but that would most likely be the reality. That was what Faith's decision meant for Lucy.

Cassian painfully shuffled over on his little bed, making room for Faith. Faith welcomed the embrace. She laid down next to Cassian, resting her head on his healthy shoulder. What did they look like? An almost widow resting with a shirtless, wounded, gorgeous man. What if they were seen? Faith no longer cared. What did she care about scandal now, anyhow?

But once again, Faith felt that all too intoxicating sensation of safety. Cassian would do whatever he could to fix Faith's monumental failures. He would make it alright.

"You made the decision that any mother would have," Cassian promised. "You made the decision to keep your child safe and away from danger. My mother did the same for me when I was a child."

Cassian did not often speak of his mother. Faith stayed quiet so that he would continue.

"I knew what my mother did," Cassian said hauntingly, as though he was recalling something very specific, "and she did it for me. She did it to feed her son. If my childhood has taught me anything, it is that mothers would do anything for the love of their children, and so I completely understand what you did."

"I am glad you understand," whispered Faith. "But that does not change how Lucy will suffer."

"I have all this money for a reason," Cassian said softly. "I ought to do good with it. If a dowry is what she requires, then a dowry is what I will provide to a good, decent man with kind and loving intentions." Faith felt Cassian's lips in her hair. "I am going to take you and Lucy to a safe place, Faith," he promised. "A place with good people, a place where you will thrive. Lucy will make friends, and she will grow up under my protection, bearing my name. I would not have it any other way."