Cassian was shocked, and then there was guilt. Faith could see it in his eyes. "Oh, good Lord," he gasped. "What have I done?"

"No," snapped Finn aggressively. "There will be no guilt here. There will be no responsibility. He challenged you. He knew exactly what he was getting into and you both made the decision to risk your lives. That is why the law still respects the honour of duels." Faith smiled at Finn gratefully. "Besides, look at what you were fighting for. Look at your prize." Finn gestured to Faith.

Faith was unsure of being referred to as a prize but she appreciated the sentiment.

Cassian stared at Faith, the look of apprehension in his eyes. "What do you think of me?" he asked fearfully.

Was he worried that she would think differently of him? "I think," Faith began, "that you are selfless. I think that you are kind and I think that you are brave and true. You protect the people you care about, and I know that you love me." Faith took old of Cassian's hand and squeezed it tightly. "I know that you love all of us." Faith included Kit in that statement.

Faith could tell that Cassian believed her words. He seemed to visibly relax. Faith could not understand what it was like to be responsible for the death of a man, but in a way she was. George had challenged Cassian to a duel over the presumption that Lucy was the bastard child she had conceived with Cassian.

But Faith did not feel guilt. Perhaps it was a sin, and she would be punished for it one day, but she did not feel guilty in this moment. She wanted to enjoy life. She wanted to live without fear.

"Lucy, what do you say to going and hunting down some biscuits? I am sure the good doctor has some sweets hidden somewhere," Finn suggested, clearing his throat.

"It is past Lucy's bedtime," protested Faith.

"You will thank me later," Finn muttered under his breath as he scooped Lucy up and promptly removed her from the room, closing the door behind him.

Faith and Cassian were left alone.

"Your friend seems very nice," murmured Faith.

Cassian chuckled, though restricted the laughter when it affected his chest. He cringed. "Yes, he is a fine character. I met him in –"

"Oh, yes. He told me that you were imprisoned for a time. You have yet to tell me about that." Faith arched a quizzical brow.

"I will tell you everything," he promised. "But first, I have to ask you ..." he trailed off before regaining his nerve. "You need not answer if you would prefer it, but I want to ask, I have to know. Did ... did George touch you?" Cassian asked apprehensively, fearful of the answer. "I was so worried. I wanted to get you out of that house as soon as I possibly could."

"He tried to," replied Faith honestly. Lord, how George tried. "And if I were still the person I was when I was first married to him I probably would have let him. But I meant what I said in the story. You make me brave, Cassian. Brave enough to fight, to stand up for myself and to protect what is only mine to give." Faith felt very proud of herself, and very grateful to Cassian.

Cassian smiled at her proudly. "You are the bravest woman I have ever met," he declared. "I knew it long before you did."

"I have a made a decision that might not be very brave," Faith confessed.

"What are you talking about?"

"Mr Carne and his family were caring for Lucy as per your instructions." Cassian nodded in confirmation. "The news of the duel, and the reason for it," meaning Lucy's illegitimacy, "spread like wildfire. Mr Carne was only trying to be kind when he corrected everybody he came across. He informed them all that Lucy was George's daughter."