Chapter 1: What Goes 'Bump' In The Night

Start from the beginning

   Alright Nora. Lets hope you're not making the worst decision in your life.

   Turning the classical music down on the radio I'd been listening to while driving, I slowly grab the door handle with my left hand. Phone firmly held in my right.

   No backing out now.

   I tug it open, cold air immediately washing over my body as the winter wind blows outwards from the forest. I wrap my denim jacket tighter around my upper body, wishing I'd of worn a warmer coat today.

   My sneaker clad foot steps down on the worn and cracked pavement that's called the road, a thin dusting of snow covering the top.

   That's what four wheel drive is for people.

   With both feet now firmly on the ground, I step away from my car, softly shutting the door as I wrap my left arm around my waist in a attempt to help warm myself.

  I don't do well with cold.

   Stars and a sliver of the moon glisten up in the almost completely dark sky, a owl hooting off in the distance somewhere.

  A forest of tall pine trees surrounds me, making me feel puny in-comparison to their towering height. A fresh layer of snow rests on their green needles, creating a almost Christmassy feel about them.

  I switch the flashlight on from my phone, immediately getting more light then what my slightly dim headlights are currently sending out.

   Yup. Gotta get those replaced. Mental thumbtack there.

  A blanket of snow stretches out from either side of the road, probably five inches deep by now.

   I take a deep breath, letting it out through my nose. A large puff of what looks like smoke takes up the air in front of my face, hanging there for a few seconds before dispersing.

   Come on Nora. Put your big girl panties on and get this over with.

   I straighten my shoulders, mentally shoving myself forward. I walk to the front of my car, the headlights lighting me up.

   So whatever that was, it hit around the passenger side door.

   I prepare to turn the corner of my red Jeep Wrangler, heart beating faster then when I thought I was going to get my first kiss.

  Turned out his hand slipped as he was reaching for his coke. Very embarrassing moment I'd rather not talk about.....Period.

  And yes, I've yet to actually be kissed in my measly sixteen years of life. But it doesn't bother me. Not really.

  I'd kinda prefer to wait anyway. As Captain America would say: "The right partner."

  I unconsciously find myself examining the side of the Jeep first, my light already on it.

  Crap. Mom and dad are going to kill me.

  A large-ish dent sits right in the middle of the passenger door, probably the size of a big textbook. Closer inspection reveals a slight indent in the glass window, spiderweb cracks spreading out from around it.

   Like the size of somethings skull....or someone's.

  I quickly look to my left, the light following. My heart seizes as a form illuminates from the gloom, my left hand unconsciously going up to cover my mouth.

  Oh dear god. This will not look good on my record.

   There, laying on his side in the deep snow covered ditch, is a person. A currently unconscious person.