Part 15

CARTER’S POV

“Yeah, I’m going to stay in California until the next magcon.”

“Okay, I miss you. Love you.”

“Miss you too, mom. Love you too. See you in a couple weeks, alright?”

“Alright, goodbye.”

I hang up the phone and I feel kind of bad. I can’t remember the last time I’ve stayed away from my mom for longer than a week. I know I sound like a baby but she’s my mother and I can tell her anything unlike some of my friends. I’m hoping over this break, me and Sidnea can get to know each other better. She lives about an hour and 45 minutes from San Francisco, in Sacramento and that’s fine with me. We made plans that I will stay at a hotel near her house and we can spend more time together. While I was talking to my mom, Sidnea and Jasmine were packing. It’s almost 11 in the morning and we need to check out before noon or we have to pay for another night. All my stuff is ready and in my car when I see the girls, they are ready, too. We get to the lobby and, thankfully there are no fans waiting for us. They probably assumed we all went home, which was partly true. Aaron went back home and so did Cameron, they checked out earlier this morning. That just left me and Taylor…wait is Taylor going home?

“Hey, um, you guys is it okay if you two ride together in Carter’s car, and I can drive your car to my house, with Taylor?” Jasmine answers my unspoken question. I look at Sidnea and shrug my shoulders giving her the indication that it doesn’t matter who drives who. She knows I would rather drive with her than Taylor, though. I’m still a little pissed at him for what happened in the bathrooms…

“Yeah that’s fine. We could just meet up at your house. Wait, where’s Taylor staying?”

“Well, you know that yearly cruise my parents go on?” Jasmine says.

“Oh, god, Jas, really? He’s staying at your house?” Sidnea asks.

“Yeah, just for a week. It’s not that big of a deal!” She justifies herself.

“Not for you, apparently.” Jasmine looks offended.

“What’s that supposed to mean?” She asks and I can hint a little sarcasm which makes me relax. I didn’t want to break up a cat fight this early in the morning. It surprises me how they’re best friends, based on how different their personalities are.

“Nothing, just, let’s go.” I let out a big breath of relief and grab Sidnea’s hand as we all walk outside to our cars. Following us is Jasmine with her bags, and soon enough along comes Taylor. I put Sidnea’s bags into my trunk and we head to Jasmine’s house. It’s silent, almost awkward as we get onto the freeway and I’m not sure what to say. I turn the radio and can’t find anything worth listening to.

“What kind of music do you listen to?” I ask.

“That’s kind of a hard question.” She laughs and I completely understand.

“Name a few of your favorites?” I’m really curious.

“I could show you instead.” She takes out her phone and plugs it into my stereo before pressing shuffle.

The music starts and I wait for the words,

Honestly, why are my clothes out on the street?

Honestly, I think you’ve lost your mind.

“Hot Chelle Rae?” I ask smiling. I like this song.

“Yeah…” She changes it and the next song is another one I know by Tyler, the Creator. She doesn’t seem like the type to be into rap. She shocks me when she starts rapping it.

I look at her with wide, surprised eyes and she stops, giggling and covering her mouth.

“This is the type of music you like?” She nods and I say, “I love Tyler.”

“Really?” I nod and she finishes the whole song. She’s not a bad rapper, to be honest.

We go through almost her whole iPod on the way to Sacramento. She has basically every type of music you could think of except country. She despises country music, which I learned on our long ride. I know almost all of the songs she has which is really cool that we like the same stuff.  She really had a passion for music which I loved so much. And I was so glad we were bonding over music and it wasn’t awkward at all.

The almost 2 hour trip seemed to go by so fast while we talked and talked about music. That sounds like it would be boring but it wasn’t. I even found out that she played flute from 6th- 10th grade. I found that amusing and she seemed proud when she told me about all the awards she got for doing it. I laughed at her confidence and she told me, “I’ll just have to show you how good I am.”

I can’t help but smirk at her comment and say, “Yes, you’ll definitely have to show me how good you are … at playing the flute.” She looks out the window trying to hide her smile and I know she’s blushing.  The way she got embarrassed at my perverted comments was so cute. I move my hand over to her and rest it on her thigh. She looks over at me and slides her hand underneath mine and intertwines our fingers. I smile at her and before we know it, we’re at Jasmine’s house.