III: Present

She is nervous.

She has every right to be. After all, seven days from now, she will step on this big stage again. It doesn’t matter how many times she performs here before a huge crowd, it just gets her every time. Like it’s the first time and she can’t help but feel like a walking ball of nerves.

Everything must be perfect. No room for mistakes, she muses. It’s not just any concert. It’s her birthday concert for one, and she just knows that it won’t be like what she had in the past. It signifies a lot. Like her being 24 very soon and her first few steps towards maturity and independence among other things.

Not to mention the number of people who will be here that night.

He will be here. She’s certain of that. He will be watching her sing, dance, and talk and laugh. And she must be at her best.

She takes a deep breath and walks in circles for a moment. She then looks at the vast and empty space in front of her and smiles to herself despite the butterflies threatening to leap from her stomach to her mouth.

She has specifically requested everyone to leave her here alone for a while. It’s been hours and hours of rehearsals and costume fittings and she thinks any last-minute changes would really drive her up the wall. She figures having a moment to herself would give her the calm that she needs in between all the clutter and chaos. And to finally, finally be able to nail the song that she picked to sing for him.

It wasn’t that easy. Choosing a song for him, that is. Given that her concert was supposed to be patterned to give a theatrical vibe. She has obsessed over it for weeks, finding the right song that could mirror what she feels for him. She has finally chosen a song from an old musical, South Pacific.

She closes her eyes and begins to sing. She’s only on the third line when she feels her heart make that familiar thud thud thud sound.

She lets out a small smile although she knows that she isn’t alone anymore.

She continues singing, knowing that she doesn’t have to open her eyes to see who just came. Her heart has just this uncanny ability to sense his presence before her eyes did.

Some enchanted evening

When you find your true love

When you feel him call you

Across a crowded room

Then fly to his side

And make him your own

Or all through your life

You may dream all alone…

She opens her eyes just then, slightly frowning at the quiver in her voice. What she finds is him standing a few feet away from the stage, leaning on the wall with arms crossed and just simply looking at her with an intensity that could match the warmth of the sun.

She holds the mic a little tighter. She’s getting quite dizzy although she’s more than certain that it has nothing to do with hunger or the heat inside the coliseum.

He walks toward her with such confidence and a big smile playing on his lips that reaches to his eyes. And she feels like he is pleased with what he sees. Like he still thinks she’s beautiful despite of the sweat on her forehead or the fact that it’s been hours since she had any remnant of lipgloss on.

She wipes her forehead consciously and smiles at him. “What are you doing here? Akala ko mamaya mo pa ako susunduin?”

“I’m sorry. Naistorbo ba kita? The story conference ended early so I figured I could come here and bring you dinner.” He replied with a hint of tampo in his voice.