46 - Lady Ayla to the Rescue

Start from the beginning

"I like the way you think," Reuben said. "He'll never expect you to be the one to—" He made a stabbing gesture with his hand.

Ayla was not amused. Not at all. Reuben put on his sheepish face again.

"What are you planning on doing?" Reuben asked, completely serious this time.

"I plan on stopping this madness before someone besides a goat gets killed." She walked away, and Fye smiled when she saw the way Reuben's eyes followed the sway of her hips.

"I guess you missed her, sir?" Fye asked.

"She's nothing but trouble sometimes."

"But you missed her."

"I missed parts of her," he said with a devilish grin, but the grin faded quickly. "I missed her. I'm not happy she's here, though. She doesn't understand how the duke works. We'll have to keep a close watch on her."

"Yes, sir."

"And you..." He shook a finger at her. "You just refuse to die, don't you? It's a good thing, too. Otherwise, I would have had to pretend to care about Xander while he cried all over the place about you being dead."

"I'm glad I could..." Fye blinked heavy eyelids and fought to stay upright. How had she even managed to walk to the tournament grounds?

"Come on," Reuben said as he wrapped his arm around her and pulled her to her feet. "You need a nap. We're taking you someplace quiet and safe."

*

46.2

Ayla marveled that Reuben had survived before he had her in his life. He was brash, arrogant, and sometimes completely stupid. Sure, he had his moments of tactical brilliance, but if you put him in a situation where people went from being enemies on a battlefield to being actual human beings, he was clueless.

She found Duke Augustus von Skymeadow on the far end of the knight's queue.

"Duke Augustus," she greeted with a curtsy.

"Lady Ayla, does your husband know you're speaking to me? He may not like the idea."

"I'm not concerned about what he likes at the moment. I'm concerned about you attacking my family." She stepped closer, wishing she were taller so she could have what she had termed "the Reuben effect."

"I'm afraid I don't know what you mean, milady."

"Oh, for the love of—you're both acting like petulant children. Here is how things stand. Lady Salvatrice isn't dead. Xander set that whole thing up because he hates you, and for good reason. Fye isn't dead, either. That means that you still have a chance to grow up, put on your big boy armor, and settle this dispute without starting a war."

The duke cleared his throat. "Was something wrong with Dame Fye? I haven't seen her lately, but I assumed it was because of the pregnancy."

"That was a lie, too. She's not pregnant." Ayla took in a deep breath. She couldn't blame Reuben for wanting this man's head on a pole—but Ayla also sort of wanted to see Reuben's head on a pole. His old enmity with the duke had sparked a series of events that had nearly killed Fye.

"I see," the duke said. "Lady Ayla, I'm not sure of the intent behind these revelations."

"You and I are going to settle this like men."

His eyes roved up and down her body. "I don't know if you could do anything like a man, milady."

"Oh, you—" She cut herself off and took a deep breath. "Enough. Enough. Here is how this is going to work. If you are crowned the tournament champion, I'll give you half of all my lands. If Reuben or Xander wins, you give the winner half of your fortune. Regardless of who wins, the feud ends. There will be no more murders or attempted murders. No more dungeons. No more lies."

The duke scoffed. "You want to make a wager? Gambling is a sin, milady."

"Not when I already know who is going to win." Reuben is going to win. He has to win. He can win, right?

For the first time, Ayla began to doubt her plan. Reuben himself had said that he wasn't what he used to be.

He chuckled. "Milady, if you are so sure, you should not be so easy on your terms. If I win, I want all of the prestigious Luntberg. I'll put my entire fortune into the winner's purse as well. I don't want to half settle my rivalry with your esteemed husband."

A lump formed in Ayla's throat. Luntberg—her home. Her people. Reuben had saved them all before, yes, but that was no guarantee he could do it again. This might have been a mistake.

But Reuben was the red robber knight, the one whose name struck fear into the hearts of anyone who dared to come against Luntberg. Surely, surely, he could defeat this... Ayla tried to think of an insult that would adequately describe him, but she failed. Reuben and Fye were the insult experts, whereas Ayla tried to see the good in people.

Thus far, she had observed nothing good about the duke.

Reuben would defeat him. He would humiliate him. And the duke would have nothing left to his name except a past that was riddled with treachery and deceit. Well, maybe Ayla would give him a little money—just enough so he wouldn't have to live in poverty. She couldn't let Reuben know that, though. It would be unchristian to leave the duke with nothing, no matter how much she disliked him.

"There will be no cheating," she said. "You'll leave Fye alone."

He shrugged. "Consider her safe until after I win the tournament."

"Fine. Then we have a deal."

Ayla extended her hand, and when the duke shook it, she couldn't help but feel that prayer was the only thing standing between Luntberg and utter disaster. Well, prayer and Sir Reuben.

Author's note:

I'm sorry this chapter is a little short, but it seemed like an appropriate place to pause. I'm not sure how long it will be before the next update. The story is approaching its end, and I want to take the time to make sure it's right. Hopefully it won't be too long. Feel free to harass me if you get restless. 

Also, please check out my other books, like On the Other Side of the Great Divide or The King and the Creation. I'm trying to attract more readers for my original works. Thanks in advance.