spectrum

Disclaimer - I don't own anything at all really.

Author - Warlordess

Notes - I've gone back and forth on this but here we are. This is one of many random one-shots I'm writing in response to requests made on my Tumblr. None of them are related to one another and all of them are based on people who sent in specific quotes/scenarios pertaining to any of the characters/ships in my given fandoms. I only posted about accepting unsolicited requests about a week ago but I've received a good twelve of them already. Hehe... I've finished two and am currently working on the third.

This is sad for me. Lol. Anyway, please enjoy, and I hope that you'll review (unless you're going to be one of those douches who flames me simply for writing about a ship you don't like - especially this one - which has happened before).

OoOoO

Title - "spectrum"

Summary - It's still her precious, sacred secret, still all hers to bear or bury, but nonetheless left otherwise alone. GeekChic friendship (and possibly more), loads of one-sided Amourshipping.

OoOoO

It doesn't end the way she expects it to.

Perhaps that's because she's gone so long with the flow, so long with Ash's companionship, that she thinks she knows him about just as well as any one person can know another person. Perhaps it's because there were no other signals beforehand to indicate that her hopeful love would end in failure and rejection... Perhaps it's because she just assumed that being at his side for so long, being kind, giving the occasional hint, investing herself in his company - if not his future - would do the trick.

At the very least, she had thought that she'd at least have the time to pluck up the nerve to confess to him but... sometimes things just don't go the way you want, right?

"Love you too, Myst," he says into the video-phone receiver with a chuckle.

It's completely casual. It's completely meaningless. She could go on about her business and pretend she'd never heard it for all of the serious, emotional nature it was lacking.

But it was Ash. Ash, who'd never said anything even remotely close to that word before in her presence. Ash, who rarely ever belied such intense feelings seriously...

Casual works for him in this case. It gets the message across, and especially to more than just the person on the other end of that phone-call.

She knows it's over.

She knows there's no point in saying anything now. There's no point when this Myst person - Misty, she learns later when she finds the nerve to ask the dreaded question - has already swooped in and made her move and taken Ash away; precious Ash, the first boy she ever loved, the boy who inspires her, influences her, coaxes her to dream her dreams until they're very, very real.

The boy has been most of her world for what seems longer than it should be. After all, she'd practically forgotten about him until that fateful evening newscast she'd stumbled upon at home, until she'd watched a courageous - if reckless - boy fall assumedly to his demise only to be saved at the last moment by a third party.

She'd almost forgotten him, what seems a hundred lifetimes ago, but everything had come back in an instant as she watched him fall, screaming selflessly for his Pikachu, arms open wide to catch his companion before the two of them hit the pavement and everything was over.

It's not over until it's over, right? Well... It was definitely over now.

OoOoO

When he escapes beyond the castle walls of her small yet constantly growing world - only because of him, she thinks - she realizes just how gray it's turned in the absence of that feeling she'd so willingly embraced before, that feeling she'd depended on far longer than she probably should have.