Chapter 16 ~ Maybe...Mine?

Start from the beginning

Finishing my examination, I looked over my shoulder at Heather and Snotlout. "Heather, can you go check on the others, make sure no one is hurt too seriously. If they are, can you take them to Gothi and help her with whatever she needs to treat them. If not then please ask them to wait until I can take care of Nightwing and the other dragons, and then I promise I will do whatever they need. Snotlout, can you go into the Great Hall and walk over to the pillar on the left, closest to the door? I've placed small emergency kit bags all around Berk. That one is the closest. It's hanging up." I explained. Snotlout nodded, jogging back toward the steps that led inside. Heather stared at me for a moment, but then walked over to the small group of vikings standing in front of the building to do as I had asked. Snotlout emerged from inside a few seconds later, brushing passed our friends to bring me the bag of my supplies. He handed them to me quickly, and I accepted them gratefully, nearly ripping open the satchel to search for what I would need.

I withdrew a few jars and plant bundles from the bag, setting them down with a mortar and pestle. "Do you need anything else?" Snotlout asked, sitting on the ground beside me. I glanced up at him, about to speak when I saw that his arm had a stream of blood flowing off it again, fresh from his bicep. Reaching down, I tore a strip of the sail off the edge, leaning forward and wrapping it tightly around his arm above the cut to stop the blood flow. "Ouch." He hissed, grimacing. "Sorry." I whispered, pulling the linen tighter and tying it in a knot at the base. "You can hold that for me. I don't need you bleeding any more than you have today." I told him, placing his hand where mine was, putting pressure on the wound to clot it again. Satisfied that he would be okay for the moment, I returned to my supplies.

Before I did anything, I needed to disinfect the lacerations covering Nightwing's body. But my dragon was huge, as were the wounds she had suffered. I thought about it for a moment, then reached forward and grasped the smallest bottles I had. Each was full of a clear liquid, oils extracted from different plants that could only be identified by their scents. I pulled out the stopper of the first one and lifted to my nose. It was a warm scent, floral and crisp. Lavender. I poured some of it into the mortar, and then corked the bottle and set it down in the bag again. I picked up the next vial, repeating the process of opening it and smelling the contents. This scent was sharper, distinctive. Pungent and carrying a trace of something similar to eucalyptus. Tea Tree. Again, I poured some of the liquid into the mortar and put the bottle away. The third and final jar held chamomile. The moment I placed it under my nose, the aroma filtered into my lungs; closely resembling that of an apple, light and fruity, but still sweet. This oil went into the mortar as well.

Once I had all three in the bowl, I used my pestle to swirl the contents together, causing the fumes to waft up through the air and clog my senses. Welcome to a day in the life of a healer... I thought, allowing the oils to drip from the pestle back into the bowl after I removed it. Content with the results, I sat up on my knees and moved the mortar over Nightwing. "This may sting, girl" I warned her. She blinked in response. Taking a deep breath, I tilted the bowl so that the oil dripped over the side, pouring into the gash across her snout. Nightwing flinched and let out another hiss, causing Hookfang to snap his jaws at me. Hookfang then craned his neck so that he was covering Nightwing's face and neck as well, trying to shield his female from whatever I was inflicting on her. I jumped back, feeling Snotlout at my side immediately. "Hookfang!" He shouted, glaring at his dragon. I shook my head. "It wasn't his fault. He's scared. He's just trying to protect her." I replied, putting my hands up to Hookfang's nose. "It's okay boy. I won't hurt her. I'm trying to help..." I whispered. He allowed me to place my palm flat against the front of his snout, and he inhaled the scents of the herbs on my fingers. The reptile relaxed again and leaned back, allowing me to continue my work.

Snotlout moved back as well, giving me space. "What are you dripping on her?" He inquired, curiosity lacing his tone. "Tea tree oil, lavender oil, and chamomile oil. They are great at treating and preventing infections and reducing the inflammation that can occur from increased blood flow to the surrounding area. They will also clean the cuts out from any debris or bacteria." I explained, this time pouring the oil mixture into the holes and over the scrapes on her neck and abdomen, making my way to her wing. Nightwing didn't move, but her breathing increased in acceleration. Anxiety pulsed from her in waves, but she stayed still so I could work. When I pulled out her wing, I bit my lip, waiting for her screech of pain when the oils hit her exposed flesh. If her nose stung, this probably would too. I poured the oil over the area all at once, so that the pain wouldn't drag out longer than it needed to be.