Chapter 14 ~ Captured Hearts

Start from the beginning

In a last ditch effort to make sure Brenna didn't drown, Snotlout leaped and embraced the girl tightly in his arms. She instantly clutched onto him too. He felt the water pulling them apart, but he would not let go, instead holding her ever closer. This tactic paid off though, as soon both were sent tumbling up onto the sand, sputtering out water and rolling together over the ground.

When they finally regained their breath, Snotlout realized how close their faces were to one another. Brenna was sprawled over him, their bodies aligned as they looked into each other's eyes. Tension began to appear between the young vikings, and Snotlout glanced from Brenna's eyes to her lips and then back again. He slowly closed his eyes and sat upward, his arms wrapped tightly around his friend's waist. He wanted to kiss her, more than anything, and he thought she might've wanted to kiss him. He felt her lean closer to him, wordlessly accepting his advance. Apparently he was wrong, however, because she quickly pulled away, crawling off of the muscular boy underneath her. She adamantly apologized, and Snotlout did as well, feeling as though he crossed that very delicate line that friends should never overstep. Awkwardness laced the air, but soon it passed and the evening continued as if nothing had happened.

Once they left the island, Snotlout took Brenna on a small detour on their way back to Berk, directly into a small horde of Starwing dragons, a new species he had discovered one day while on patrol. He hadn't even told Hiccup about them yet, because he wanted Brenna to be the first to see them. She loved them, just as he had hoped. On their journey back to her hut, Snotlout rehearsed what he wanted to tell the girl at his side. He needed to be honest with her, like Minden said. He needed to tell Brenna how he felt. This wave of courage diminished though, and instead of talking about how he felt, he bid the healer goodnight with a hug and smile. Granted, she did compliment him and say that she had a wonderful time, but that did not ease the sting when she said Minden would be lucky to have him at her side. Unbeknownst to Brenna, he didn't care about the Wingmaiden like he did for her. Snotlout didn't care about anyone the way he cared about her.

Snotlout turned around, shaking his head. "I'm an idiot! I let her walk away again! Hooky? I don't know what to do. You go any ideas?" He glanced back, realizing that his dragon had stayed behind with his mate. He rolled his eyes, running his hand down his face in irritation. "Oh that's right, you aren't here. Your love life's going awesome!" He grumbled, continuing on the path to his hut. "And now I'm going crazy. Why? Because I'm not talking to my dragon. I'm talking to myself as though my dragon can actually hear me...." The younger Jorgenson sighed, kicking some stones out of his way. Who am I kidding? She could never love me.

The sun slowly arose the next morning, and with it Snotlout was awake, getting ready to meet with his friends in order to discuss the working plans for the day. Where Astrid would be sending patrols, where Snotlout should send his own people, whatever responsibilities Hiccup had for himself and what he would have to delegate to others. The dark haired man strode through the village, a look of sadness gracing his features as he moped all the way to the Great Hall.

Hiccup looked up from the map he was staring at on the table as soon as the great oak doors swung open, an eyebrow raised in interest as he took in his cousin's appearance. "Snotlout! Something wrong?" The chief asked, emerald eyes alight with curiosity and concern. Astrid was at his side, moving a few stone models from one side of the parchment to the other. Even the blonde knew something was amiss with their usually so confident friend, her eyes softening upon seeing his disarrayed state. Snotlout shook his head, stepping forward to examine what the two had been putting together. It was a complete drawing of the whole archipelago, including the islands they had discovered during their time on the Edge. "Right, and Hookfang is pink. Come on, spill. What happened?" Astrid pressed. Snotlout sneered, picking up the map. "Nothing happened. Everything is fine. I'm fine." Hiccup and Astrid exchanged a look. "Did something happen with Brenna?" Hiccup asked cautiously.