Chapter 7 ~ Music of the Night

Start from the beginning

Looking back up at my friend, I found that Snotlout was already staring at me. He was wearing the new fur cloak I gave him, as well as a shiny black tunic and pants. "You look...amazing." He muttered, taking in my appearance. I blushed darkly, "Thank you. You look pretty handsome yourself..." I returned the compliment. He smiled, placing his helmet back on his head. "Are you ready to go?" He asked, gesturing toward the dinner hall. "Sure." I answered. I briefly glanced back at my mother and aunt. "See you guys there, I guess." I bid them farewell. They both waved me off, and I returned my attention to Snotlout. He held out his arm for me, and I gladly accepted it. I wrapped my fingers around his bicep and started walking with him toward the dirt path.

The walk was relatively long, but our pace was relaxed as we made our way toward the Great Hall. I took a deep breath, enjoying the sound of the music coming from the celebration. The sky and stars above looked like a blanket of diamonds spread high above. "So...I have to ask...why did you want to go with me to the celebration?" I hesitantly inquired. Snotlout tensed beside me, but he simply shrugged. "Well...you are one of my best friends...I just figured, it would be worth a try." He answered, refusing to look at me. I flushed again. "Well, I'm glad you did. Thank you...you're one of my best friends too." I admitted. He glanced at me out of the corner of his eye, the ghost of a smile playing at his lips. "So...Stoick asked you to sing tonight...you must be pretty excited." He continued on. I sighed, stepping over a rock carefully so I didn't snag my gown on it. "Can I be honest?" I asked, biting my lip. "Sure. You know you can tell me anything." Snotlout replied immediately. If only that were completely true. But I can't tell you everything...not yet at least. You would laugh, or freak out...I'm not what you want. My brain countered his statement, causing a stabbing sensation of sadness in my chest. But I didn't let it show. "I'm actually really nervous. I'm not used to everyone hearing me sing." I confessed.

Snotlout paused. "Wait...then how did Stoick choose you?" He asked, confused. I chuckled then. "Gothi recommended that I do it. I guess Stoick took her at her word that I'm talented. I'm not so sure about that, but if he wants me to do it, then who am I to refuse?" I explained. "Well...I get why you're nervous. But I'm sure you'll be fantastic Brenna." My friend placed his other hand over the one I held on his arm. I finally looked up once again, and our eyes met. "Thanks Snotlout. That means a lot." I told him. He nodded, then released my hand and turned his attention back to the road.

However, we were already standing at the doors to the enormous building where we dined and held our meetings and festivities. I had been so caught up in our conversation that I hadn't even noticed we had climbed the stone steps up to it. The doors were wide open, and inside the fire pit was piled high with lumber, flames erupting from the center and casting shadows on the walls around. The tables had all been moved to the side of the building, leaving plenty of space for the party goers to dance. The whole village would be in attendance tonight, so we would need room to move. Eris and Helle were both standing on the stone steps in the front of the fire pit, speaking with Stoick. Seeing the exchange, I gently let go of Snotlout. He looked down at me curiously. "I'm sorry, I must go see Stoick. We perform as soon as he makes his speech. I will be back after I'm done though, I promise." I apologized. "Sure. Good luck!" Snotlout smiled in understanding, before moving away to go speak with Ruff and Tuff.

Picking up my pace, I strode over to the trio standing in front of the fire. Stoick saw me before the girls did. "Brenna! You look as beautiful as your mother! Are ya ready to entertain this fine crowd?" He asked, patting my shoulders. "Thank you, sir! And I'm ready as I'll ever be." I answered excitedly. Stoick beamed proudly. "Well then, I suppose we best get the celebration started!" He winked at us. We laughed along with him, before taking our places behind the chief. Helle stood on the far left of the stone steps smoothing down her skirt anxiously, while I walked over to the right and planted my feet. Eris placed herself in the center, flipping her hair over her shoulder, and we awaited our cue to begin. Stoick and Gothi had gone over everything with us on the days we rehearsed. Stoick would give his annual speech calling everyone together and honoring those who were becoming adults, then walk back to the crowd and give us a thumbs up to start the performance. The band would continue playing music the rest of the night, but our purpose was to create even more excitement to get people to start dancing.