Chapter 1 ~ Chance Encounters

Start from the beginning

I laid against her shoulder and shut my eyes as well, content with the weight of her colossal wing resting over my body, intending only to listen to the sounds of a dragon race occurring on the central part of the island. The other dragon riders were surely having a good time there. Hiccup, Astrid, Fishlegs, Ruffnut and Tuffnut, and of course Snotlout. They were all amazing people and I had interacted with most of them on at least one occasion or another. Except Snotlout. I probably would've, had he not been so stubborn every time he needed a healer and refused to come to us. He went to Gobber more than my aunt, perhaps too embarrassed to admit something was ever wrong with him. Astrid was my best friend ever since we were children, and although she was constantly annoyed by the arrogant brunet, I couldn't help but find him a little attractive. I smiled to myself at that thought, thinking about how stupid I was to even think about that kind of stuff. I was a healer and dragon rider. I didn't have time for anything like romance. What chances do I have with anyone, let alone one of the heroes of Berk?

Not much time seemed to have passed when I was suddenly awoken by the feeling of my dragon moving away from me and causing me to fall back on my spine and head. Gaining my bearings and hearing the growling coming from her persuaded me to swiftly get to my feet, patting her side in reassurance while picking up my sword from the ground where I had dozed off. Another dragon let out a loud roar, and Nightwing scraped her claws through the grass aggressively, declaring the territory as hers. Then she set herself on fire by igniting the flammable gel that secreted from her skin, forcing me to back away too. "Hey! Easy there girl! Easy! I'm right here!" I reminded her, trying to calm my dragon down again. No longer hearing any sound of hostility coming from the opposing creature, I rubbed my hand along the scales of Nightwing's neck and cheek, soothing her while I tried to get a glimpse of who or what she was freaking out over. She finally composed herself and backed up a few steps, but she didn't take her eyes off the creature she was staring at. I hadn't actually seen it yet, but I knew whatever it had been was still there, mainly since I was feeling the vibrations in the ground as it moved from side to side. "Good girl." I praised Nightwing, massaging her shoulder as I walked around her massive body to see what we were up against.

When I noticed my dragon's back and tail spines relaxing, I finally turned my attention on the other creature. I breathed a sigh of relief, instantly recognizing the orange dragon staring back at us with narrow yellow eyes. Hookfang? It was in that moment that I finally saw his rider atop his neck, staring at me with a seemingly equal amount of astonishment. It was Snotlout. I took in his appearance, as disheveled and sweaty as it was, and couldn't help the grin that split my lips. His dark chestnut hair feathered away from his face under his helmet, some clinging to his forehead and cheeks from the moisture of his sweat weighing it down. His blue eyes shone brightly, making them look almost gray in the rays of the sunshine beaming down into the glade. A green vest covered his broad chest, showing off his muscular body and exposing a small patch of the thin dark hairs covering his chest; and he wore a pair of grayish-blue pants with a heavily adorned belt around his waist, the outfit finished with a set of black fur lined boots. His face was covered in streaks of red and yellow war paint that matched those decorating Hookfang's giant form, the flashy colors giving them both a vibrant appearance. A true dragon rider stood before me.

I waited for him to say something, unsure about how to even begin the conversation. Thankfully, I didn't have to. "I'm sorry we disturbed you, fair lady. My dragon saw yours and became very curious about it. Forgive me?" Snotlout asked while Hookfang lowered him to the ground gently. I gave him a kind smile in understanding. "It's quite alright. It was no trouble. We were just relaxing." I accepted his apology, though he had nothing to seek forgiveness for. He grinned back at me and started to walk in my direction. "And may I ask your name, beautiful?" Snotlout asked. I felt the heat rise to my cheeks in response to his comment. "Brenna. Brenna Derganson," I introduced myself, then gestured to my dragon. "And this is Nightwing." Snotlout's eyebrow raised, and he looked between us and Hookfang. "Nice to meet you Brenna. I'm Snotlout Jorgenson. And this is my brave companion Hookfang. We saved Berk a few times you know." He began cockily. "Ah yes...I know... it's nice to finally meet you both." I told them, seeing now what Astrid was talking about when it came to his ego. But from what I had heard, I also knew that the viking boy was kind at heart, and he was obviously attractive. However, he was far easier to talk to than I had imagined, so perhaps getting to know him would be less challenging than I previously thought.